Author Topic: Pipewellgate, gateshead durham England  (Read 870 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pipewellgate, gateshead durham England
« Reply #18 on: Friday 26 April 24 15:04 BST (UK) »

John Chambers labourer age 40 abode 3 Welford's Buildings, Church Walk - burial 19 May 1894

I agree that this death looks very promising, and that Church Walk was in the Pipewell Gate area.
Good find Jorose.

Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 26 April 24 18:07 BST (UK) »
( A quick google search suggests that this address may have been in Pipewellgate).

Not quite in Pipewellgate but very close.

The listing in the 1911 census gives the sequence: Church Street, Church Walk, Welfords Building, Church Stairs.
All, apart from Welfords Buildings can be clearly seen on this map. So I'd suggest Welford's Buildings were approximately in the position of the blue marker
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01t4v/

The eastern end of Pipewellgate lay a little to the south-west of this
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01t4w/

Not that this helps to find any of them in 1891  :-X
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 26 April 24 18:28 BST (UK) »
There is a possible death for George maybe. A death shows for a George in Gateshead in 1885, the year we have for his birth (death 1st Qrt 10a/528). Age shows as 0, so weeks or months old

The burial register states that he was the son of William Chambers, buried 10th January 1885, aged 3 weeks.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ7-L95Z-C?cat=825277
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 26 April 24 20:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks, JenB. George is there still be found then.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mturnergeneology

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 26 April 24 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi there!

Thank you for all the help thus far from everyone.

We found a death record for Michael's Dad, John Chambers, which I have attached.

The informant is listed as a brother W. Chambers of the Village Backworth.

Michael was younger than George and John Williams, so I don't think he died as an infant. There is some information to support that John Williams (or John Willie as Michael remembered him) was also placed in a workhouse and was later sent to Canada.

Michael remembers a sister, but isn't sure if thr family had 2. I imagine the sister may have been born after Michael.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 26 April 24 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary, Why do you think that death for John Chambers is correct? Do you have a death certificate or burial record that supports this? I don’t think it will be the right person because Morpeth is a long way from Gateshead. John Chambers is a fairly common name.

The death and burial record found for John aged 40, in Gateshead (as posted earlier) is more likely the correct one, but you should get the death certificate to check all the details.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Mturnergeneology

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 27 April 24 02:08 BST (UK) »
This was a death certificate that my grandmother was able to find. The timeline of events matches this John Chambers what little we know of his family.

Michael Chambers was placed in a boys workhome in 1895/1896, the same year his father, John died. Michael was at least the 3rd or 4th child.

We know that one of his brothers, either George or John Williams, who was older eventually was  placed in a boys workhome and eventually was sent to Canada too. The records we have found indicate that it was John Williams.

The record shared below of a John Williams Chambers placed in a Northumberland workhome is local to the father, John Chambers who died in the Morpeth workhome.

The family also can't be located in the Gateshead 1891 census, so I theorize that maybe the family moved maybe due to the father getting injured?  From what research I have done for the time period is that the workhomes were for people who were too sick or injured or didn't have family to care for themselves. John Chambers and his family lived on pipewellgate, which had a lot of factories, he is listed as a general laborer on Michael Chambers birth registry.

Is there a better way to verify to ensure accuracy?

Offline Mturnergeneology

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 27 April 24 02:21 BST (UK) »
Sadly all the Morpeth workhome records were destroyed during WW2.

The family does have hereditary spherocytosis which was carried by Michael Chambers and passed onto his children, great grandchildren and great great grandchildren. Spherocytosis can be carried and passed down by either the mother or father, so Michael inherited this blood mutation from his mother or father. Generally a splenectomy is performed, but if not the person can carry severe health complications throughout life.

Spherocytosis wasn't documented until 1871 in England.

Do medical or school records still exist from this time period?

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 27 April 24 07:37 BST (UK) »

Is there a better way to verify to ensure accuracy?

Yes.  You can look at the census records for the John Chambers who died in Morpeth in 1895
AND
You can obtain the death certificate (details directly below) for the John Chambers who died in the Pipewell Gate area in May 1894.

CHAMBERS, JOHN       Age 40 
GRO Reference: 1894  J Quarter in GATESHEAD  Volume 10A  Page 449

You will see that John Chambers who died in Morpeth was from Scotland, born abt 1847-48.
His family seem to have come from Peebleshire and were in Northumberland from the 1860s working in the brick making industry.
John’s brother, William (born abt 1844 Scotland) is living in Backworth with his wife Hannah and family. This John Chambers appears to have married an Elizabeth, but it looks like she died before they had any children. I doubt this is the John you are looking for, and I cannot see any sign of him being in Gateshead.

You can check this yourself. Yesterday I sent you a PM with information about how to access census records on FamilySearch, and how to obtain birth and death certificates from the GRO.

There are various other suggestions given in the thread which you may also want to follow up on, to try to gain more information to assist you in your search.