Author Topic: Brick Wall due to marriage not with GRO  (Read 919 times)

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brick Wall due to marriage not with GRO
« on: Thursday 25 April 24 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi I recently built my existing family tree on familysearch and the fan chart is excellent as it is printable and quickly shows where the gaps in your research are...

One such gap and brick wall that has been bugging me for years is that I cannot find the marriage of my GGG grandparents and so don't know their fathers names to go back further. They are William John b1815-1820 of St Dogmells, Pembrokeshire and Ann(e) Griffiths b1823-1826 of either of Tremain or Blaenporth, Cardiganshire. They appear to have had their first child in 1846 so should be married by then but I just cant find it. Any help greatly appreciated in filling in the hole in my tree.

Thanks

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Brick Wall due to marriage not with GRO
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 April 24 09:26 BST (UK) »
If you search on the GRO site for the child's birth certificate it will give you the mothers maiden name which might also assist for the marriage if there was one

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 April 24 09:29 BST (UK) »
Here's the GRO site-
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp
You need to register (free) then once logged in select "Search the GRO indexes"
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 April 24 10:39 BST (UK) »
Have you checked this possibility

Narberth  September quarter 1847 26 789
Where William John and Anne Griffith, Ann Griffiths are on the same page.

You would need to pair up the various spouses to check.

One tree shows John Butterfield and Ann Griffiths , for example
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 April 24 10:44 BST (UK) »
Another tree matches David Phelps with Martha James.
This leaves William John and Anne Griffith as possible spouses.

Found the marriage - his father is James John and William is a collier. Does that fit?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 April 24 10:53 BST (UK) »
Marriage 18 Sept 1847 St Issells, Pembrokeshie

William John and Anne Griffiths Residence Kingsmoor Hill. His father James John and hers James Griffiths. William John is a collier. One of the witnesses is an Isaac Griffiths.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 April 24 11:05 BST (UK) »
Possibles off FindMyPast

19.10.1830 at Lambston Pembrokeshire William John to Ann Griffiths
25.1.1835 at St Andrews Cardiff William John of St Andrews to Anne Griffiths of Leckwith
18.9.1847 St Issells Pembrokeshire William John of Kingsmoor collier father James John collier to Anne Griffiths of Hill father James Griffiths servant on of the witnesses is an Isaac Griifiths

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 April 24 11:21 BST (UK) »
Possibles off FindMyPast

19.10.1830 at Lambston Pembrokeshire William John to Ann Griffiths
25.1.1835 at St Andrews Cardiff William John of St Andrews to Anne Griffiths of Leckwith
18.9.1847 St Issells Pembrokeshire William John of Kingsmoor collier father James John collier to Anne Griffiths of Hill father James Griffiths servant on of the witnesses is an Isaac Griifiths

Willow x

The couple would be too young for the 1830 or 1837 marriages

They are William John b1815-1820 of St Dogmells, Pembrokeshire and Ann(e) Griffiths b1823-1826 of either of Tremain or Blaenporth, Cardiganshire. They appear to have had their first child in 1846 so should be married by then but I just cant find it.

But a marriage in St Issells - quite a long way from St  Dogmells, Tremain or Blaenporth - might fit if the couple were living in St Dogmells as a married couple. To marry without a scandal they would likely go to somewhere a good few miles away.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 April 24 11:40 BST (UK) »
But..
If I have the right family in 1851 and 1861, living in St Dogmells, with oldest daughter Mary, William John is a fisherman not a collier.
In 1841 there is a William John (fisherman) age 25 (rounded) with Mary age 60 , Pheoby 20, Maria 15 - presumed mother and sisters. Mary's occupation says Ind(ependant). Normally for a married woman occupation is left blank, so I suspect she has been widowed.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott