Author Topic: My Heritage  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My Heritage
« on: Thursday 25 April 24 18:58 BST (UK) »
I am making this enquiry on behalf of my wife who tells me that she is too tired to deal with it presently.

Apparently she has received her bank statement and her account has been a debited  for a significant amount payable to My Heritage. This has come as a complete surprise to her as she says that she has had no dealings with My Heritage for at least 10 years’ if at all.

Please can anyone suggest why she has been debited and how they think the problem should be dealt with
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My Heritage
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 April 24 19:34 BST (UK) »
I would contact MyHeritage to see what the payment is for.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Zaphod99

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 April 24 20:11 BST (UK) »
I think you should also check back as far as possible to make sure that she hasn't been charged for all the intervening years. What sort of quantity is at stake?

Zaph

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 April 24 20:24 BST (UK) »
Most definitely check every year for the last ten years if possible, or as far back as the Bank can go.

I’d then contact My Heritage by phone and ask why the debit has been taken on an account that obviously has been dormant.

Set low expectations from them.

They are all the same, it is very difficult to cancel a subscription online and it is only cancelled when one receives an eMail confirming the cancellation.

As an example, I cancelled My Heritage as soon as I renewed and took a screenshot.

As with Ancestry, it is going to expire with no Auto Renewal.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 April 24 21:21 BST (UK) »
I've deleted my tree on that website as I refuse to think that my money could be going to pay for a war.   The link below shows names of directors and their nationalities, etc.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/06670598/officers
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 April 24 21:26 BST (UK) »
P.S. the site is only free if you have 250 or less people in your tree.  I had several small trees with the total number of persons totalling more than 250.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 April 24 23:02 BST (UK) »
 She should contact both MyHeritage and her bank.
If she hasn't  any dealing with  MyHeritage , perhaps someone has her credit card details ( stolen her numbers).
My first  port of call would be my bank if my  credit card had an unauthorised charge on it ,  if I knew for sure that I  haven't taken a sub or anything out with MyHeritage at all..

You say she hasn't  had any dealings with MyHeritage for the past 10 years (  and if at all). Did she have an account with them  before this?
If so, can she log into her old account to see her subs and such under her settings?
If she's  forgotten  her password , press the  button " forgot password " to reset the password ( that's  if she is still has  the same email address that she joined  up with them with, as they send the link to the email address that you have the account under).
Kind regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 April 24 07:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for the replies.
@ Zaph £120 I think.

We will see what happens today.
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline F1fan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 April 24 11:21 BST (UK) »
I have spoken to someone who used to work for My Heritage - the company they used to work at was bought by My Heritage - and they left due to the path they are taking.

Also looking at the link posted by Rena, it seems strange that the Chief Financial Officer has a postal address in Dorset, England but have listed their Country of Residence as Israel  ???

Hopefully you are successful in getting your money back, but have heard similar stories to yours quite a few times of >:( them
Sawyer, Rutty - Wiltshire
Double - Suffolk
Templeman - Nottinghamshire
Senior, Blakeb(o)rough - Yorkshire