Author Topic: My Heritage  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Heritage
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 April 24 08:00 BST (UK) »
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 April 24 20:27 BST (UK) »
Years ago My-Heritage was "updating" my tree with rubbish that other people had posted.  This stopped when I stopped synchronizing my computer tree with the online gedcom.  Since that time I have mistakenly thought that I was safe from any happenings out there in cyber space.

Since my last entry I received a message from a family member asking me to confirm some ancestral information back in the 1770s.

I duly clicked on the "MyHeritage" icon on my desktop and realised that despite my not synchronizing my gedcom with the heritage online gedcom that website still had complete charge of their icon and when I deleted my online tree, it meant that my computer had also received the same "delete" message and all that was left on my computer was a green MyHeritage icon.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 01:34 BST (UK) »
P.S. the site is only free if you have 250 or less people in your tree.  I had several small trees with the total number of persons totalling more than 250.

I had 240 persons in my Free Tree for 8 years ...just had an email telling me that I had exceeded their Free Limit of 100 persons and would have to pay   ... so my tree will be removed
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 09:12 BST (UK) »
I have a tree with several thousand people in it on MH. I only subscribe intermittently. When I have let my subscription lapse I also get dire warning about my tree exceeding the limits for a "free" account but it has never been deleted. I am just unable to add to it.

I did also pay separately for access to the DNA tools a long time back, before I took out any other subscriptions. That remains valid whenever I let my other subscription lapse, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

My last subscription lapsed last December. The renewal offer is now down to £46 for their top level subscription in the latest emails trying to entice me back.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 May 24 08:16 BST (UK) »
Since the op, my wife has had a considerable amount of communication with the staff of My Heritage.
I overheard some of the conversations. What struck me was the certitude in the manner of the person at the other end of the line as she reeled of several transactions in which my wife was alleged to have made over the past years.
My wife checked through her bank statements and only one, the last one, corresponded with having been debited from her account. After further conversations during which the MH rep was sticking to her lines, and my wife somehow remained civil the case was referred’ to Accounts Dept.
The latest e-mail

Original purchase date: removed
Invoice number: removed
Amount: £120
IMPORTANT NOTE: The refund has been issued and may take up to 7 business days to appear in your account.
Your credit note is attached.

Best regards, 
The MyHeritage team

I will believe it, if and when it happens
Green, Stoke Poges
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 May 24 10:51 BST (UK) »
Well done to your wife. I hope the refund comes through.

I've never had any contact with MH - and it seems from reading all on this thread that I never will.

Regards

Martin

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 May 24 11:21 BST (UK) »
A good result.

I do have to say that I will never ever pay anything to My Heritage.

The rubbish spouted by them and totally unhelpful staff when the site “lost” my Wife’s DNA test, one day it was there with matches etc, the next gone.

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 May 24 13:57 BST (UK) »
Another thing that I am curious about:
If my wife has never had an account with My Heritage then
 how did they get hold of details of her bank account ?
Green, Stoke Poges
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 May 24 00:18 BST (UK) »
Another thing that I am curious about:
If my wife has never had an account with My Heritage then
 how did they get hold of details of her bank account ?
Nifty,
Has she contacted her bank?  I know  you  said they'd ( Myheritage) would refund the money,  but perhaps her  bank can  help,   they should be able to put a block on any future payments that they may try to charge, or issue her a new card / numbers, ie  cancel the card/ numbers she has (to block all future  transactions to that card.)

Just a thought, besides the most obvious, which I mentioned  earlier (  someone may  have stolen her  numbers) - Did  Myheritage buy out/merge.with any company that your  wife did have an  account  with?

Was it by credit card? Usually  if paid by credit card, you are covered  for fraudulent transactions , and the credit card should refund you and chase the company who made the  transaction for  reimbursement. 

Whatever happens,  I would  be speaking to my bank about it and not soley relying on Myheritage ( or any other company  for that matter too) to do the right thing.

It's worrying  IF your wife has never had an account  with them, my thoughts are that  it leaves two options , stolen numbers, the  card/ numbers  has been fraudulently been used   , or your wife may have had an account with some other geneology site that has merged/ bought out  by MyHeritage for them to have  her numbers.
Best of luck, but 100% she should contact  her bank , if she hasn't  done so already of course.
Kind regards

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u