Author Topic: The Martin family  (Read 410 times)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Martin family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 02:05 BST (UK) »
At the time of her marriage, her address is given as 17 Berkeley Street which is under the name of a Miss K. Ryan in the directories for whom she may be working. It is possible that Mary was born in Dublin, but she could have been born anywhere, including England.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 02:47 BST (UK) »
The records for the Berkeley Street Church (St. Joseph's) are held in local custody.

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0512

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 06:29 BST (UK) »

Wonder if Letitia Martin could be Mary Kate's sister-in-law?
There is this marriage in 1909 but it's in Lisburn- the groom is a widower called William Martin-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1909/10034/5649688.pdf

The couple that marries in 1909 are Catholic. The only Letitia Martin who fits the bill in the 1911 census is a widow, aged 30 in Ballyclan, Co. Antrim, a domestic servant. Also in the household is a Maggie Doud, aged 23, also a servant, and single. 

Death of William in Ballyclan in 1910:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1910/05422/4515291.pdf

Marriage of Letitia Martin , 1911,  widow, father Robert Mallon. This rules the above L M out
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1911/09962/5622064.pdf
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vivib53

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 09:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks I have researched this Mary and it isn't her. I have been in contact already with both churched involved and they have no information

Offline vivib53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 09:14 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find my grandmother's birth and her ancestry.
Her name was Mary Kate Martin. In 1924 she married my grandfather James Patrick Burns in Dublin. He was a professional footballer playing for a Dublin team, so this could be the reason they married there. Her father's name was noted as William a labourer, and the two witnesses John and Letitia Martin.                                                                                                                                                   They had four children very quickly, Kevin born 1925 in Reading UK , James was now playing for Reading FC. James  in 1926( from death notice) and my mother Mary Bridget in 1927 all born Dromore Co Down. My mother said she was the youngest, but there was a brother George whose birth I can't find. Maybe born before the marriage.                                                                                            Mary died in 1929 at Banbridge hospital, a heart attack due to pre eclampsia in pregnancy. Her death certificate states she was 25.                                                                                                     I've searched Irish and British records and can't find her birth or anything else to do with the Martin family. The church St Colmans where she is buried( info from a distant relative in Dromore) have said they have no info on the Martin family. I am starting with County Down as this is where James and his family are from. I thought I had found her birth but the person went to the USA so not her. Anyone recognise any of the names? Thanks.
EDIT: Please note, both churches have already been contacted and they have no further information. I and others have researched all UK and Irish records several times. Mary's father was not mentioned as deceased at her marriage in 1924. ( I have  her marriage and death certificates).

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 15:13 BST (UK) »
If I was a betting person, Mary was likely from Dublin or nearby given she was living there at the time of the marriage. Also, the witnesses, both named Martin, are likely relatives who lived nearby as they were readily available to stand as sponsors Also, given that it occurred in a Catholic church means that John and Leticia were also Catholic.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 15:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks I have researched this Mary and it isn't her. I have been in contact already with both churched involved and they have no information

Were you able to obtain the parish record for the marriage?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vivib53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 15:29 BST (UK) »
No parish record. They had no record at all of the marriage although I have the certificate. The priest in Dromore Co Down confirmed my grandmother was buried there two days after her death

Offline vivib53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 15:45 BST (UK) »
I also thought Mary Kate was from Dublin with the witnesses being of the same surname too. I checked the census for 1911 at the address given at the time of the marriage, but no Martins. We've extensively looked at the Martins in the Dublin area with no joy. Where it could be a red herring is that 1: James was playing for a Dublin team at that time. 2: Married mid 1924. Died mid 1929. Four children, none twins. I can trace three of their births.. Kevin born in Reading UK 1925. James snr was playing football there. James born in Dromore 1926. My mother who we were told was the youngest Feb 1927. And I can't trace the other brother George's birth. Maybe before they were married and the Martin surname.?