Author Topic: Alexander Grierson  (Read 464 times)

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Grierson
« on: Saturday 27 April 24 04:31 BST (UK) »
 Would there be any newspaper or local reports that might have reported the death of Alexander Grierson in the period between 1851 and 1855 at Barnacabber . Dunoon Kilmun  Parish.
   Alexander is in the 1851 census , listed as a pauper mason at Barnacabber. Official death records start in 1855 and there is no listing for him.
His wife Helen is listed under her maiden name of Mckellar at Ardentinny, living with a sister Catherine Thompson . a daughter Sophiw Grierson is also listed there. as a widow in the 1861 census.
 I believe that Alexander Grierson must have died between the 1851 census and befoe deaths were registered in 1855.
Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Grierson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 April 24 05:06 BST (UK) »
Just to add,
      If there are any records from the Church at Ardentinny they just might record a death.
I believe that this was the Church used by the Glenfinert estate. Barnacabber was the farm for Glenfinnert Estate, and Alexander worked as a mason on the renovations at Glenfinnert in the 1840's
Wyanga
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 April 24 07:49 BST (UK) »
Additional info not included in post

1851 shows him as 88yrs old - Helen was 46
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 April 24 08:16 BST (UK) »
It's always tricky trying to find deaths before 1855.

If he was a pauper mason it's unlikely that the newspapers would have reported his death, but I have checked anyway and found nothing in the British Newspaper Archive.

It's unlikely that a pauper family would be able to afford a gravestone, but it may be that the family prospered later and eventually commemorated him on a gravestone. I do not know, however, if there are any online sources of gravestone incriptions in Dunoon and Kilmun. In 1997 the Scottish Genealogy Society published a booklet of Monumental Inscriptions in Kilmun churchyard, so maybe someone who has a copy of this would be willing to check for a record there of Alexander Grierson's death.

As for church records, Ardentinny is in the parish of Dunoon and Kilmun. The only extant pre-1855 burial records from this parish are from 1755-1772.

Sometimes the Kirk Session records include accounts, and such accounts record payments for the use of the mortcloth (a cloth used to cover the coffin during a funeral service) which may name the deceased person. The surviving Dunoon and Kilmun Kirk Session records are online at www.scotlandspeople.go.uk. I took a quick look at some pages of the minutes, but did not see any record of mortcloth payments there. There are records of mortcloth payments in the Kirk session and Heritors' minutes (CH2/456/4) but the ones I saw did not name the deceased. You may like to make a more thorough search of these records in case I missed something.

There is one other possibility. A pauper, after 1845, is specifically someone who receives assistance from the Parochial Board, and parochial board records, if they have survived, are a very useful source of all sorts of information including the death of the pauper. I do not know whether or not the parochial board records of Dunoon and Kilmun have survived, and if so where they are, but I would start by asking Argyll and Bute Council Archives https://liveargyll.co.uk/facility/archives/

Failing all this, you'll just have to do like the rest of us and record his date of death as 1851/1854!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 April 24 11:39 BST (UK) »
CaroleW,
 There seems to be a discrepancy with their ages in the 1861 Census.
  Alexander's age in the 1841 census is given as 70 whereas 10 years later in 1851 he is 88.
 Also Helen was born 1802 so she would have been 49 in 1851. Still a large difference in ages.
Wyanga

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 April 24 11:57 BST (UK) »
Forfarian,
              Thank you for your detailed reply, I may just have to let him rest in peace.
 They were my Gt Gt Grandparents and Alexander is a bit of a mystery. In the 1841 Census his birth place is given as Wigan but I have been unable to find a birth record for him about 1770.
 I have Helen's death record as 28th May 1862
 A daughter Helen migrated to Australia in 1857 and is my Gt Grandmother, the second daughter Sophia also migrated in 1867
 Wyanga

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 April 24 13:11 BST (UK) »
Ages in 1841 were rounded down to the nearest 5 yrs.  If he was 88 in 1851 his age should have been shown as 75 in 1841

in the 1841 Census his birth place is given as Wigan

The 1841 did not show actual birthplaces.  The transcript says Scotland

The 1851 says Wigton Dumfries
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 April 24 13:37 BST (UK) »
I have Helen's death record as 28th May 1862

Death registered as McKellar & also as Gregorson - mmn Campbell

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 April 24 18:34 BST (UK) »
in the 1841 Census his birth place is given as Wigan
The 1841 did not show actual birthplaces.  The transcript says Scotland
The 1851 says Wigton Dumfries
Even that is a bit odd.

Wigton is a small town in Cumberland, England.

Wigtown is in the county of Wigtown, aka Wigtownshire, in Scotland. The county of Kirkcudbright aka Kirkcudbrightshire lies between the county of Wigtown and the county of Dumfries aka Dumfries-shire.

www.scotlandsplaces does not know of a place called Wigton/Wigtoun/Wigtown in Dumfries-shire.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.