Author Topic: Eli Shaw son of Joseph Shaw  (Read 115 times)

Offline SGWilkin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eli Shaw son of Joseph Shaw
« on: Saturday 27 April 24 08:34 BST (UK) »
Can you help me - I am at a bit of a standstill with my Shaw ancestors in Huddersfield.

My GGGGrandfather was Eli Shaw a mason, born about 1811 in Linthwaite to a Joseph Shaw a manufacturer. I have this information from the marriage record for Eli Shaw to Mary Marshall in 1852 in Almondbury.
This was Eli's second marriage he was a widower, he had been married previously to a Betty Blackburn in Kirkheaton in 1834.

However I cannot link Eli to a specific record for Joseph Shaw and family as there are a fair number of Eli and Joseph Shaws in this area at the time. Can anyone help?

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Eli Shaw son of Joseph Shaw
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 April 24 10:27 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. Have you considered below, about a mile from Linthwaite?

Eli Shaw
Baptism 14 May 1810
Slaithwaite with East Scammonden, St James, Yorkshire,

Parents Joseph & Sarah Shaw (Record on Ancestry)

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 April 24 11:03 BST (UK) »
Possible marriages and there are others.

Joseph Shaw of Huddersfield to Sarah Garside of Linthwaite.
26 Sep 1791Almondbury, All Hallows, Yorkshire,

Joseph Shaw of Huddersfield, cotton weaver to Sarah Kendal of the parish.
25 May 1795 Elland, St Mary, Yorkshire

Slaithwaite with East Scammonden, St James, Yorkshire

A Joseph & Sarah had 8 children, including Eli 1800 – 1816, the last records Joseph as a clothier .

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline SGWilkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 April 24 13:55 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply Colin.
I do have an Eli Shaw baptism record from Slaithwaite from 14 May 1810 via Launds Museum; I think, but thank you.

There are so many confusingly similar entries for Joseph Shaws in the cloth trade.
There was one for Wellhouse Golcar, Lees Mill Golcar, Stainland (is that the one with about 8 children?).

I did not have the marriage records for Josephs and Sarahs so I will check them out. I also had a Joseph Shaw marriage to Alice Morton?

In theory Eli Shaw's father Joseph was alive (not recorded as deceased) on the 1852 marriage record of Eli to Mary, Eli is 41, therefore Joseph must be about 60+ years of age and therefore born 1775-1790.
He should be on both the 1841 and 51 census returns which I also have.
(And of course Eli has moved on by then - he married Betty Blackburn in 1834 in Elland and lived in Lockwood in 1841.) It must be a matter of ruling out the wrong Josephs! Thank you for your suggestions