Author Topic: Scully Family - Mayo  (Read 116 times)

Offline markharrison1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Scully Family - Mayo
« on: Saturday 27 April 24 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Looking for any info on Scully family's in Mayo.
Trying to tie in my Michael Scully born 1876-78 to a Catherine M Scully Born abt 1871 in Mayo.
Catherines Parent were Thomas Scully Born 1831 and Margaret Mumeri or Murray Born Abt 1850 (different names on different USA records) both noted as Born Mayo in Catherines Death Record.
Had a look at the readily available records and cant find any of them. Any assistance or leads would be really appreciated. Catherine Married Thomas Stapleton and the family from then on are well documented including her death in Chicago.
There is also Anne Jane Scully Born 1870 and died 1907 in Cook Illinois who married Farrell Rigney who may be a sister or cousin to Catherine. Again Rigney family well documented.
I have a decent DNA link to both these lines which is why i think there is a common link to all three lines.
I originally thought my Great Grandfather Michael was from Donegal but very little was know about him. He died in 1923 in Aberdeen Scotland. On his marriage Cert it says his father was also Michael Scully.
GREENOCK, SCOTLAND.  Blue, Boyle, Brown, Byrne, Fitzpatrick, Harrison, Scully, Sweeney.
OLD KILPATRICK / DUNTOCHER, SCOTLAND. Brown, Angus, Martin.
CO ANTRIM. N.IRELAND Harrison, Marshall, Hamilton, Bamford.
DUN LAOGHAIRE / DUBLIN, IRELAND. Breslin, Byrne.
ROSCOMMON, IRELAND. Breslin, Brislan, Kilalea.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scully Family - Mayo
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 April 24 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hello
I can connect 2 out of 3.

Micheal Scully bc 1878 ,is also born 1871 on his death record in Aberdeen in 1923.
It looks like he was born in 1874.

Michael Scully 13.5.1874 s of Michael and Mary Scully nee Sexton at Togart  Wexford a labourer.
Anne Jane born 26.2.1871 Wexford of Ferrycraig is his sister.

Other children Sarah 8.7.1858 Fermoy Workhouse
James  7.11.1860 Wicklow
Margaret 11.11.1867 Eniscorthy
Bridget 15.5.1869 Arlow of Ballykitty
Teresa 16.11.1872 Wexford

marriage for parensts  12.9.1857 at Newmarket on Fergus co Clare.

There is a Mary Kate Scully 10.11.1867 also at Fermoy Workhouse d of Thomas Scully and Kate Brown who could be the other one.

No time to check out more as Library is about to close.
Sorry

Ciderdrinker

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 April 24 14:24 BST (UK) »
I originally thought my Great Grandfather Michael was from Donegal but very little was know about him. He died in 1923 in Aberdeen Scotland. On his marriage Cert it says his father was also Michael Scully.

Is this his death, born c1876?

SCULLY, MICHAEL
Aged 47
Mother's maiden surname: GALLACHER   
168 / 1 / 223
St Nicholas

What is his mother's full name here and on the marriage cert?

Debra  :)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 April 24 16:40 BST (UK) »

Michael Scully 13.5.1874 s of Michael and Mary Scully nee Sexton at Togart  Wexford a labourer.

Link to his birth.
15 May 1874 (Ballygeary [sic]) near Tagoat/Rosslare Harbour - MMN Sexton
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1874/03146/2153916.pdf
https://www.townlands.ie/wexford/forth/kilrane/st-helens/ballygerry/

Anne Jane born 26.2.1871 Wexford of Ferrycraig is his sister.

Link to her birth.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1871/03307/2212134.pdf
At Ferrycarrig - MMN Sexton
https://www.townlands.ie/wexford/shelmaliere-east/tikillin/kilpatrick/ferrycarrig/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline markharrison1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 April 24 21:01 BST (UK) »
All, Thanks so much for the leads.
Yes in his death Cert the mothers Maiden Name appears to be Gallagher (bit unclear).
On the Marriage Cert to Barbara Blue in 1904 his mothers name appears to be Cassidy (she is deceased).
His father Michaels Occupation is Stone Quarry Foreman on the marriage cert. On his death Cert his fathers Occupation is Labourer.
In the Death Cert in 1223 hes 47 (1976)
In the Marriage Cert in 1904 hes 26 (1978).
In the 1901 Census he is living in Greenock Scotland and hes 23 (1978).
Im always sceptical on info on death certs as info is only as good as the person that gives the informations memory. Ive seen a few errors over the years. Especially when 2nd half of the couple die.
Interesting the hits are in Wexford and not Mayo or Donegal.
The reason i was thinking Donegal is that the only record i can find for Michael in the 1911 Census that is close is for a Michael Skelley living on site at a waterworks in Clydebank. If he had a strong Irish Accent and couldnt read or write its not inconceivable If the right Michael in 1911 he is 32 (1979). I'll have a look through the info and see if i can find any records to corroborate.
Mark
GREENOCK, SCOTLAND.  Blue, Boyle, Brown, Byrne, Fitzpatrick, Harrison, Scully, Sweeney.
OLD KILPATRICK / DUNTOCHER, SCOTLAND. Brown, Angus, Martin.
CO ANTRIM. N.IRELAND Harrison, Marshall, Hamilton, Bamford.
DUN LAOGHAIRE / DUBLIN, IRELAND. Breslin, Byrne.
ROSCOMMON, IRELAND. Breslin, Brislan, Kilalea.