Author Topic: Mystery Match - Pointers Please  (Read 933 times)

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Match - Pointers Please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 April 24 14:55 BST (UK) »
I am firmly of the opinion that when building any Family Tree one has to use DNA to validate that your parents are your biological parents.

Each of your Grandparents is your Biological Grandparent.

Each of your Great Grandparents is your Biological Great Grandparent.

Ditto for each Great Great Grandparent

Marking up a pedigree tree will help in visualising the “Black Holes” where DNA has not validated the Biological relationship.

Only when you have undertaken this process can one hope to make progress in ascertaining linkages to DNA matches.

An NPE in your Family Tree may be far closer to you than you hope it to be.

Be methodical.

Offline Norfolk Nan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 April 24 15:01 BST (UK) »
In theory, I agree wholeheartedly.  In practice, it's a different kettle of fish particularly if the people probably involved are either already dead or effectively total strangers.  But that's the 'fun' of family history.  My tree is very old, begun in the 1980s, so IMHO this new-fangled DNA stuff is an additional plaything - apologies if that sounds a bit flippant.
Davison - London
South - London, Hampshire
Sharp(e) - Hertfordshire, Suffolk
Lee - Ireland
Summerfield - London, Buckinghamshire
Bickers - London, Norfolk, Suffolk
Guiver - London, Hertfordshire, Essex, Cambridgeshire
Murray - London
Hill - London, Devon

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 April 24 20:26 BST (UK) »
In theory, I agree wholeheartedly.  In practice, it's a different kettle of fish particularly if the people probably involved are either already dead or effectively total strangers.  But that's the 'fun' of family history.  My tree is very old, begun in the 1980s, so IMHO this new-fangled DNA stuff is an additional plaything - apologies if that sounds a bit flippant.

It is far from flippant.

I’ll reiterate what I have posted before about a BBC Sounds series on DNA.

A person had been researching his family tree for 30 years before he took a DNA test and his results did not make any sense, it was only when he queried with his parents that they admitted that he had been adopted.

You simply cannot rely on documentation, certificates etc to prove that a person in your Family Tree is a Biological relation, only when they are validated by DNA can you then presume the relationship to be Biological.

To give an example, even if there is a 400 cM DNA match in a persons match list, if other circumstances conspire then a Parent may not be a Biological Parent.

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 April 24 20:56 BST (UK) »
One match can change everything, I have a batch of maternal matches that on paper are 1c1r and 1c2r , they all fit in the overlap range of half and full relatives but none match a mystery group of 40 linked matches I have. Out of the blue a result from a paper trail 1c appeared but the cM amount is nowhere near high enough for a 1c and is yet more evidence of a close NPE in my pedigree line. It's actually the 3rd NPE in my tree (now both parents and one grandparent now proved, a 2nd grandparent yet to be resolved).

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 April 24 06:42 BST (UK) »
I think the non biological parents are also important because they affected the ancestors lives . I have included my grandmothers adopted parents on tree and added their descendants as alternative parents .

One DNA link was explained by a photo a granddaughter of an adoptee had a photo of the grandmother's grandmother but didn't know who the lady was until a legitimate descendant had the same photo

Just yesterday I found a bunch of matches to my cousin around the 40cm mark they all share an ancestor from 1866 with a photo .. I looked at who else had shared the photo including people who have not had DNA test but have fuller trees .
I've not worked out the exact connection yet but am building up a hypothesis tree .
There are several single mothers on the tree . The man was a soldier and has children born in Yorkshire Aldershot & India .
Just need one shared match with an identified bio connection to link the dots to know which line to follow.

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Norfolk Nan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 April 24 09:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for all your thoughts - they've given me a lot to think about.  I didn't intend to embrace the DNA side of things, I just wanted to know my ethnic origins (was I viking?) Instead I've dabbled but haven't really got to grips with the science of it all.  If I can explain a match through a paper trail I'm a happy bunny.  Understanding the significance of the numbers and making best use of tools takes me out of my comfort zone.  I need to learn more because this has the potential to confirm or unravel what I believe is the truth and who my family are.  Another example of me being late to the party ;D
Davison - London
Lee - Ireland
Murray - London
Hill - London, Devon

Offline antonymark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 April 24 09:57 BST (UK) »

"I’ll reiterate what I have posted before about a BBC Sounds series on DNA.

A person had been researching his family tree for 30 years before he took a DNA test and his results did not make any sense, it was only when he queried with his parents that they admitted that he had been adopted.

You simply cannot rely on documentation, certificates etc to prove that a person in your Family Tree is a Biological relation, only when they are validated by DNA can you then presume the relationship to be Biological."

[/quote]

I wish Biggles could have a little chat with my friend's brother in law! He has looked at the Ancestry trees of the mystery group and announced that:

"The DNA is wrong. You can see that those people aren't related to you at all"

I really don't want to start a family feud but his comments aren't helpful and could spoil our chances of persuading her father to test. My friend is very keen to get to the bottom of the mystery.

I did my own DNA to solve one particular question and it has surprisingly opened up so much else. I have learnt a lot and it's added to my enjoyment of an already absorbing hobby.

Tony.

Hoare, Milsted, Peacock, Herbert, Crampin, McIlroy, Holden, Hilton, Fawcett.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 April 24 10:07 BST (UK) »
A DNA test can open “Pandora’s Box”, you never know what you will find unless you open The Box.

I can fully understand a reluctance to take a DNA test, it took me three years to get close relatives to test.

Another way I explain the need to DNA prove your Family Tree is to simply state:-

“What happens when you pass on your Family Tree to your offspring or their offspring, who then take their own DNA test only to find unknown families in their DNA match list?”

Offline Norfolk Nan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 29 April 24 10:40 BST (UK) »

I've got the problem of having no living relatives above me now.  My mum's line had died out, she was a single child to a single child but I have had DNA matches with older generations in that family.  My dad and his siblings are all passed now and I've got matches to his mothers families and his dad's mothers side but the direct male line is known on paper but not confirmed by DNA.  They were notorious for affairs so I'd like to sort that one out some how. ;D
Davison - London
Lee - Ireland
Murray - London
Hill - London, Devon