Author Topic: Decipher?ing help for town in NE Scotland  (Read 344 times)

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Decipher?ing help for town in NE Scotland
« on: Saturday 27 April 24 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to work out the destination for a de-mobbed soldier in 1803.  It is from his pension record and gives his planned destination.  He claims for 3 days pay to travel to Peterhead (from Aberdeen) so I think the place is likely in that area.  He may have been going to take up a position in a militia as he is described as a Lieutenant in Aberdeenshire Militia on his gravestone.  Only place I can think of would be Crimond, but it doesn't really look like that, but I suppose it could have been the writers best guess at what he was being told. 

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Decipher?ing help for town in NE Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 April 24 22:12 BST (UK) »
Have you posted the image you meant to?

I see “d(itt)o (wounded) head & shoulder at Cramond, Aberdeen”. Half way down the page.
Is that to what you referred?

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 April 24 22:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, but as far as I'm aware, there is no Cramond up here (is one near Edinburgh).  But yes, it is that word I am looking at.

Online GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 April 24 22:20 BST (UK) »
It is just a misspelling of Crimond. If your man is Alexander McHardy, you will find him on this page.

https://archive.org/details/territorialsoldi00bullrich/page/378/mode/2up?q=mchardy

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 April 24 08:26 BST (UK) »
GR2 thank you so very much.  It is indeed Alexander McHardy.  I hadn't found him in the Aberdeen Archive muster lists for Crimond.  What a great wee resource - thanks.  Were the 2nd Aberdeenshire militia (including Crimond) garrisoned (full-time)? Or would they be living normal lives and just on standby?  Do you know where I would find the muster roll for 1803.  He isn't listed among the officers then so maybe joined as private and was lieutenant by 1809?  He had been sergeant in 42nd in Egypt until 1802.  Maybe I should proceed with this in one of the military forums!
Many thanks,

Online GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 April 24 09:10 BST (UK) »
One of my grandfathers, James Thom from the parish of St Fergus, was in the 2nd Regiment of Aberdeenshire Local Militia. The only evidence I have for that is his wife and family appearing in a list dated 1809 and one dated 1812 of certificates granted for the relief of wives and families of militiamen (in the Aberdeen Archives). I used Bulloch's book (the one in the link in my previous post) to reconstruct the movements of the 2nd Regiment. James certainly wasn't away from St Fergus all the time as he had a son born there in April 1811. Men must have been granted leave.

This is my reconstruction from Bulloch:

The St Fergus and Longside company, 60 men in strength, was commanded by Captain Thomas Kilgour. It was linked (as centre company) with that of Rathen (left company) and that of Crimond and Lonmay (right company). These other two companies were of the same strength, and all three were under the command of Major Alexander Harvey, who ultimately became lieutenant-colonel of the 2nd Regiment.
When his children were baptised, James is not described as serving in the militia, just that he was “in Inverugie”. The regiment was stationed at Haddington from May 1806 to May 1807, at Musselburgh from May 1807 to May 1809, at Edinburgh from May 1809 to May 1810, and at Berwick from May 1810 to November 1811. It was then at Dalkeith until December 1812, at Glasgow until February 1813, at Carlisle until March 1813, at Liverpool until June 1813, and at Norman’s Cross, Dover, until January 1814 when it took up residence in the Tower of London. It marched out of the Tower in August 1814 and arrived at Aberdeen on Saturday 17th September. It disembodied on Friday 23rd September, assembling again at Aberdeen on Tuesday 25th July 1815, a month after Waterloo, and continuing under arms until Saturday 24th February 1816.
All that can be said with certainty about his militia service is that James was in Edinburgh with his regiment in June 1809 and at Berwick in July 1810 and July 1811.

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 April 24 12:48 BST (UK) »
That is amazing - thank you.  Im guessing he stayed with them until they were dissolved, as he gets married a year later in Kirkmichael (Tomintoul) where he lives and dies (and has a tremendous gravestone).  You have helped fill in some huge gaps for me.  Thank you,
Ali

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 April 24 14:12 BST (UK) »
I think "St George" is "Fort George, Inverness".
Aberdeen Press and Journal, 15 June 1803

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 April 24 14:24 BST (UK) »
There's a record (very brief) of his return to pension on 25 Mar 1803.

Aberdeen Journal, 4 Jan 1804

EDINBURGH, DEC 31