Author Topic: Martha Johnston, border crossing, 1924  (Read 297 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Johnston, border crossing, 1924
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 April 24 05:36 BST (UK) »
1915 New york census, Queens
martha Johnson 29, is with her mother Jenia Johnson, 70, her sister Elizabeth Johnson 34.
They are living in the house of Robert Campbell and his wife Jenie (nee Johnson)
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 April 24 05:47 BST (UK) »
That is a great find, Neale1961. Martha’s sister Jane a.k.a. Jeanie did marry Robert Blackwood Campbell October 27, 1909 in Paisley Scotland.
Martha’s mother Jane Johnston nee Cockburn separated from her husband Thomas about 1914 and was living in New York. So the three youngest girls are living with her in 1915.
Martha’s sister Lizzie reportedly married Richard Panting, December 24, 1917 also in Denver, Colorado, but I haven’t found the actual record. I wonder what took them to Denver. I have unverified information that Richard died in 1928 in Colorado.
Thanks so much, Neale1961.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 April 24 06:04 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Peggy

Richard Panting with wife Elizabeth on the 1920 census for Radium, Colorado is a good match.  He was much older than her.

It appears after his death, she moved to Penticton,  probably wanting to be closer to her family.  Here's her death:
https://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/11ff7531-77fc-40f1-a503-4a978824fa16

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 April 24 06:07 BST (UK) »
The indexes for the marriages of both Martha and Elizabeth at the Colorado Archives, and the spelling of Elizabeth's surname/parents names, as written by Martha, on Lizzie's death certificate all are spelling the surname Johnstone
Is that a change from when they were in Scotland?

Edit to add findagrave:  https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/66368960/elizabeth-panting

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 April 24 06:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, bbart, for all your help. I don’t know when or why the family started spelling their surname as Johnstone.
Since Lizzie is living in Queens in 1915 but married in Colorado in 1917, I guess she was the first to go to Colorado, and Martha probably followed, where she married in 1924.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 April 24 07:02 BST (UK) »
Ellis Island Passenger Arrival Lists

30 March 1908 on “Caledonia”
Martha Johnston age 23 single laundress from Glasgow
Name and address of relative – Eliz Johnston:- 14/3/Main St Rutherglen Glasgow
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 April 24 07:52 BST (UK) »
Ellis Island Passenger Arrival Lists

30 March 1908 on “Caledonia”
Martha Johnston age 23 single laundress from Glasgow
Name and address of relative – Eliz Johnston:- 14/3/Main St Rutherglen Glasgow

I don't think that is her..... that passenger list states she was going to her intended,  Edward Seabury, in Connecticut, and there is a marriage showing for them on 24 Apr 1908, in Ansonia, Connecticut. Edward and Martha are still together on every census up to 1950.

The passenger list of 1914 on the Cameronia, where Martha Johnstone, sister Eliza, and mother are traveling together, says the mother has been to the USA before, but not Martha and Eliza. Contact in Scotland was Martha's father, and destined to sister Jeanie Campbell in New York.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 April 24 08:04 BST (UK) »

The passenger list of 1914 on the Cameronia, where Martha Johnstone, sister Eliza, and mother are traveling together, says the mother has been to the USA before, but not Martha and Eliza. Contact in Scotland was Martha's father, and destined to sister Jeanie Campbell in New York.
Yes, i agree. That looks like them.
I didn’t see that one while sifting through all the Johnson names. :)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 April 24 08:27 BST (UK) »
As bbart said, that can’t be the correct Martha Johnston who emigrated in 1908. Martha is in Glasgow in 1911 living with her parents, Thomas and Jane, and her sister Elizabeth. Jane went to New York in 1914.
I think Martha’s father Thomas was living in New York between 1903 and 1911, at 206 W. 120th St. Wonder if we can find him there in 1910.
In 1901, Thomas is living with his son Edward C. Johnston, in Annan, Dumfrieshire, says widowed, born Paisley, not true place of birth or marital status. Jane is living in paisley, Scotland with her 3 daughters Elizabeth, Jeanie, and Martha. She says married. Martha’s occupation in 1901 looks like cycle agents assistant.