Author Topic: Help understanding career of sergeant in 42nd (1794-1803)  (Read 179 times)

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help understanding career of sergeant in 42nd (1794-1803)
« on: Sunday 28 April 24 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am having trouble understanding the timeline for an Alexander McHardy who was a Sergeant in the 42nd Reg of Foot and also a lieutenant in the Aberdeen Militia after medical discharge.

He was born in either Kirkmichael or "stradown" (?strathdon?) in 1768-70 (no birth record found with certainty).  He probably joined the 42nd in about 1794 as he had had 8 years service when he became Chelsea Pensioner in 1802.  He received head and shoulder wounds on 21st March 1801 at battle of Alexandria, Egypt.  On 24th Feb 1802 he is discharged and recommended to the bounty of Chelsea Hospital (signed in Winchester).  The admission book for Chelsea records admission on 18th March 1802.  Interestingly the 2 men above him, admitted on same day were also sergeants from the 42nd and injured at Alexandria on same day. 
On 25th August 1803 he is discharged from Edinburgh Castle by Major James Ross/Rose 'to return to the Outpension, he being supernumerary'.
On 6th Dec 1803 (signed at Aberdeen) to certify that he is an out pensioner of Chelsea Hospital and has conformity to his majesty's proclamation of the 16th July 1803, but is hereby discharged from further attendance on the present occasion.  It then very helpfully describes his physical appearance to prevent improper use of certificate.  Was this certificate exempting him from a call up?  Or was it so he could claim pension?  He signs to say he has had all his pay, clothing etc and also '3 days pay to carry me to Peterhead'.
He then joins the 2nd Regiment of the Aberdeen Militia as a lieutenant in Crimond, just north of Peterhead.  Likely serving with them until he moves back to Kirkmichael and gets married in Dec 1815.
Questions!?
If he joined 42nd in 1794, he would have been 26.  The Chelsea admission book suggests he was a sergeant for 8 years of his 8 years service - how could he have gone in as a sergeant?  Would this, and his fairly old age (26) suggest that he had perhaps had service with another regiment prior to the 42nd? 
There is a gap of a year between his injury in Egypt and his being 'admitted' to Chelsea Hospital.  Where was he during this time?  Or is being 'admitted' not in the physical sense for care, but only for financial support?
I am interested in the sergeants of the 42nd who were injured at Alexandria as the battle accounts I have read (just online summaries) suggest that a sergeant from the 42nd received or captured a French standard but was then injured and lost it again - is there any way of finding out who that was?  How detailed are the original records of the engagements?
Thanks for any further help with this chap. 

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help understanding career of sergeant in 42nd (1794-1803)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 April 24 21:49 BST (UK) »
Attaching his fabulous headstone which is where my journey with him started...

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 May 24 09:16 BST (UK) »
Have you tried asking the Black Watch Regimental Museum - Balhousie Castle, Perth?

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 May 24 09:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks, yes, I emailed them a day or so ago so await their reply.  Otherwise I will be having a wee trip down to Perth to visit them!

Offline David Nicoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 May 24 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,
  Since I have McHardy’s of that ilk in my tree, I had a little look.

As you say he married 27 Dec 1815 in Lagganvuilin to Isabel Machardy in Kirkmichael.
If you have reference to him in Strathdon, I would tentatively suggest Alexander McHardy, baptised 26 Feb 1770 in Toldaquhill, Strathdon to John McHardy, that would make sense as Alexander’s son was John.
It would need a bit more proving, but …
Nicoll, Small - Scotland Dennis - Lincolnshire, Baldwin - Notts. Gordon, Fletcher Deeside

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 May 24 11:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks David.  I have tentatively taken this as his start in Strathdon, as you say, the fathers name being recycled in his children gives a bit of a clue, but there are so so many McHardy's around (as I'm sure you know!)  I just can't commit to it 100% without a bit more proof.  I think I did try to pursue that family of Toldaquil for more clues (he may have had a sister called Elspet/h).  Will have another look.  I am pursuing the Black Watch museum in the hope of some earlier records that might give address when you joined up, or a next of kin.