Author Topic: Burial Lookup  (Read 630 times)

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Lookup
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 09:15 BST (UK) »
The burial record gives the date as 10 December 1865, denomination Anglian, at Sutton St Nicholas (Lutton)

There is an image on FindMyPast, but his age is recorded as 52. Badly written?

The church and cemetery can be seen on these maps:-
https://maps.nls.uk/view/114654078
https://maps.nls.uk/view/114654081

There is a Methodist Chapel on the adjoining map to the east.

COOPER John.
Effects under £100
7th October.
The will of John Cooper in the Hamlet of Sutton St Nicholas otherwise Lutton in the County of Lincoln Dissenting Minister deceased who died 21st May 1865 at Chapel Bridge aforesaid was proved at the Principal Registry by the oath of Edward Featherstone Cole of Long Sutton in the County aforesaid Auctioneer of the Executors.

David

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 09:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this information, David.

Where would I obtain a copy of his will? Would it be from the Lincolnshire Record Office?

Many thanks, Jayson
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 10:20 BST (UK) »
Possibly. See: https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/history-heritage/lincolnshire-archives/2

There is a marriage record and bond of John Cooper, cordwainer, to Rebecca Thompson on 26th January 1815 in Nantwich.
Witnesses: Richard and Thomas Cooper.
The bond states that John was a widower

Three non-conformist baptisms at Nantwich, Barker Street (Baptist):-
Isaac: 29th November 1817, born on 13th
Robert Thompson: 15th April 1821, born 29th March
Eliza Thompson: (day obscure) April 1823, born 17th March 1823

John recorded as minister in each case

Henry Rowley Beardmore born Oct-Dec 1843, mmn Cooper, in Dudley District, Staffordshire.
Born in Bilston on 1861 census. The person on the 51-61 censuses?

In 1841, John and Rebecca were in  Fleet, Lincolnshire, with daughter Eliza.

David

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 11:08 BST (UK) »
WOW :o :o :o I never would have expected so much information. Thank you so much very, David :)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 11:38 BST (UK) »
COOPER John.
Effects under £100
7th October.
The will of John Cooper in the Hamlet of Sutton St Nicholas otherwise Lutton in the County of Lincoln Dissenting Minister deceased who died 21st May 1865 at Chapel Bridge aforesaid was proved at the Principal Registry by the oath of Edward Featherstone Cole of Long Sutton in the County aforesaid Auctioneer of the Executors.
Thank you very much for this information, David.

Where would I obtain a copy of his will? Would it be from the Lincolnshire Record Office?

No - as with all post-1858 wills for England and Wales, you need to order a copy (pdf) from the Probate Search website, for the princely sum of £1.50 - https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

I believe local/county record offices do sometimes have copies of post-1858 wills that have been transferred from district probate registries, but that won't be the case with this one as it was proved at the Principal Registry (= London).

If you do place an order, note that there is a handwritten folio number (621) in the right hand margin. For Principal Registry wills this must be quoted as part of the order.

(Other sites might claim to provide copies of these wills, but it will almost invariably be more expensive and slower than ordering direct for yourself.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 13:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, arthurk.

Jay ;)

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 16:23 BST (UK) »
In case you haven't seen it, there is a bit more information about John here:
http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/articles/Coseley/religion.htm

David

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 23:27 BST (UK) »
I’m astonished by the information that you have found and keep finding, David. Thank you so much!

John seems to have been quite a character. I found a document at the Cheshire Record Office where one James Hodgson calls for the removal of John Cooper and describes him as ‘a man morally unfit to sustain the office of a Minister of the Gospel’. Well I was imagining all sots of things as you can imagine.

All this means I can now research my Cooper family line once again as I had hit a brick wall with Thomas Cooper (John’s nephew and my direct ancestor) as couldn’t identify his parents. But knowing what I now know means I can order up John’s marriage certificate to Susannah Shearcroft which will reveal the identity of his father. I am pretty sure it is William as I found a christening entry at Nantwich in 1783.

I wonder how John’s family could afford to have him educated? He obviously received some education as he could read and write.

Thanks once again, Jay

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 May 24 11:18 BST (UK) »
Lincolnshire Chronicle 8th September 1854
At the General Baptist Chapel, Fleet, on 4th ins., the Rev. John Cooper, of Lutton, to Susannah Shearcroft, widow, of Long Sutton.

John Shearcroft, widower, married Susanna Wilkinson in Sutton St. Mary (Long Sutton), on 22nd April 1812.
Witnesses: John Wilkinson, James Wilkinson and Elizabeth Swingler.

Susanna, born in Long Sutton, and possibly buried there on 21st December 1867, aged 82.

I have Wilkinson ancestors from the same area but I can't find a baptism for Susanna. According to the censuses, she was born c1786 in Long Sutton.

David