Author Topic: Names in an old Bible don't match my Family Tree  (Read 449 times)

Offline crazydaizy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Names in an old Bible don't match my Family Tree
« on: Monday 29 April 24 15:58 BST (UK) »
A Great Great Aunt of mine Elizabeth Ceney (1876-1960) born West Bromwich and married to Charles Reynolds (B Abt 1876) Up to and including 1901 Census they lived West Bromwich, then after that appear to live in Wales (I need to check back on that and do further research) Anyway Charles had a Brother called William C. Reynolds (B Abt 1868 in Princes End, Tipton, Staffordshire) and this is where my confusion begins....

..... Years ago I acquired an old family bible.  I used to collect old bibles from Charity Shops, but I'm not sure if my late Aunt gave this one to me.  It has handwriting inside.... William Charles Reynolds and Sarah Burrows married Coven Church on 3 Feb 1892.  In the back of the book is more handwriting...listing what could be their children. William Brooke Reynolds (B 17 Sept 1897) Annie Alexandra Reynolds (B 26 June 1902) and Hilda Mary Reynolds (B 2 Dec 1904) Then there are two names...  Mr W. Reynolds Born 5 Dec 1860 and Mrs S. Reynolds Born 21 June 1861 (I'm assuming these are the married couple)

If this is the "same" William as I have in my family tree research, his DOB differs greatly to what I've found on the Censuses, which suggest he's at least 8-9 years older on pretty much all of them.

Am I to assume this IS a family Bible, and this info is correct?  Or is this just a coincidence that I picked up a random Bible out of a charity shop with similar names, and I need to continue the research on William and Sarah's marriage info and children?

Hope this isn't too confusing and thanks in advance for everyone who looks into this for me.

PS I've now found an 1891 Census of a William C Reynolds (B Abt 1865) married to Emeline with a daughter Gladys M, which might be what I'm looking for?
Ceney/Senay/Seaney (West Bromwich/Sedgley/Tipton/Pennsylvania) My Paternal Family Tree.
Bell/Hannah - Maternal Family Tree
Briggs/Morris - Adopted (or fostered in this case) Maternal Family Tree.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Names in an old Bible don't match my Family Tree
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 April 24 16:07 BST (UK) »
REYNOLDS, GLADYS  MAUD     mmn EDWARDS 
GRO Reference: 1889  J Quarter in WEST BROMWICH  Volume 06B  Page 877
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crazydaizy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 April 24 16:20 BST (UK) »

Thank you, so I'm guessing the Bible has nothing to do with the names I'm researching.
Ceney/Senay/Seaney (West Bromwich/Sedgley/Tipton/Pennsylvania) My Paternal Family Tree.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 April 24 16:30 BST (UK) »
REYNOLDS, WILLIAM  BROOKE     mmn BURROWS 
GRO Reference: 1897  D Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON  Volume 06B  Page 529

REYNOLDS, ALEXANDRA  ANNIE     mmn BURROWS 
GRO Reference: 1902  S Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON  Volume 06B  Page 596

REYNOLDS, HILDA  MARY     mmn BURROWS 
GRO Reference: 1905  M Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON  Volume 06B  Page 577
Marriage for William Charles Reynolds to Sarah Burrows - he was 31 occ Brass Dresser, she was 25.
It did note that Williams faather was William Reynolds (deceased) a Gardener but there is an amendment written alongside which says 'omit William Reynolds Gardener' corrected on 26 Feb 1892.  Witnesses were James Richard Reynolds and Mary Ann Burrows

Offline crazydaizy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 April 24 16:36 BST (UK) »
REYNOLDS, WILLIAM  BROOKE     mmn BURROWS 
GRO Reference: 1897  D Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON  Volume 06B  Page 529

REYNOLDS, ALEXANDRA  ANNIE     mmn BURROWS 
GRO Reference: 1902  S Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON  Volume 06B  Page 596

REYNOLDS, HILDA  MARY     mmn BURROWS 
GRO Reference: 1905  M Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON  Volume 06B  Page 577
Marriage for William Charles Reynolds to Sarah Burrows - he was 31 occ Brass Dresser, she was 25.
It did note that Williams faather was William Reynolds (deceased) a Gardener but there is an amendment written alongside which says 'omit William Reynolds Gardener' corrected on 26 Feb 1892.  Witnesses were James Richard Reynolds and Mary Ann Burrows

Thanks again, those are the names in the Bible I have, but I'm not sure they relate to the names I'm looking for in my family tree, which in your previous reply appear to be on the right track.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 April 24 16:50 BST (UK) »
A Great Great Aunt of mine Elizabeth Ceney (1876-1960) born West Bromwich and married to Charles Reynolds (B Abt 1876) Up to and including 1901 Census they lived West Bromwich, then after that appear to live in Wales (I need to check back on that and do further research) Anyway Charles had a Brother called William C. Reynolds (B Abt 1868 in Princes End, Tipton, Staffordshire) and this is where my confusion begins....

Elizabeth Ceney married Charles Reynolds in 1897, they were both 21 and his occupation was a Moulder. His father was William Reynolds (deced) occ Miner.

In 1901 they have his widowed mother Jane with them age 71 bn Shropshire
1891 he is at 1 Ebebnezer St, WB with mother Jane and some siblings
1881 also at Ebenezer St with others including brother William C Reynolds   (Charles is listed as Charles A)

William C Reynolds married Emmeline Edwards in 1888

Offline crazydaizy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 April 24 16:52 BST (UK) »

Thanks Rosie, all very helpful and matches what I'm looking for.  The old Bible must belong to someone elses family.  I wish I only knew whose.

Elizabeth Ceney married Charles Reynolds in 1897, they were both 21 and his occupation was a Moulder. His father was William Reynolds (deced) occ Miner.

In 1901 they have his widowed mother Jane with them age 71 bn Shropshire
1891 he is at 1 Ebebnezer St, WB with mother Jane and some siblings
1881 also at Ebenezer St with others including brother William C Reynolds   (Charles is listed as Charles A)

William C Reynolds married Emmeline Edwards in 1888

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 April 24 16:55 BST (UK) »
St Andrew, West Bromwich - 1st October 1888
William Charles Reynolds 22 bach. Engineer. Father William Reynolds (decd) Miner
Emmeline Edwards 24 Spinster, father Isiah Edwards
Witnesses Edward Reynolds and Prudence Ann Ryder

So it is your family  ;D

Offline crazydaizy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 April 24 17:06 BST (UK) »
St Andrew, West Bromwich - 1st October 1888
William Charles Reynolds 22 bach. Engineer. Father William Reynolds (decd) Miner
Emmeline Edwards 24 Spinster, father Isiah Edwards
Witnesses Edward Reynolds and Prudence Ann Ryder

So it is your family  ;D

Yep it appears to be my family, thank you  ;D