Author Topic: SS Triumph  (Read 344 times)

Offline glendan561

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SS Triumph
« on: Tuesday 30 April 24 03:12 BST (UK) »
Are there crew lists for the above vessel. I'm specifically looking for a Hector McKenzie McNeil.

Many thanks in advance.
Smith (Elgin & Knockando), Duncan (Morayshire), Rose (Sutherland),Alexander (Morayshire), MacLennan (Morayshire), Milne (Glenlivet), Golding, Williams (Swansea,Wales), Tregoning, Haworth (Bury, Lancashire)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: SS Triumph
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 06:12 BST (UK) »
Hello

Can you please give a little more refinement to your request. Plus what you know to date.

A quick delve into our past suggests to me that there were possibly at least two vessels serving the NZ ports with the name SS TRIUMPH.   One in the 1860's and then the one in the 1880's that shipped cargo between UK and NZ ports.

In November 1883 it went aground in the Hauraki Gulf, not far Tiri Tiri Island, when leaving the port of Auckland, and was eventually abandoned as a wreck. Only some of the railway rails destined for other NZ ports, were salvaged. Some 200 immigrants disembarked at Auckland.

Alan.

PS It's quite a while since I was last looking up LLoyds Register for info re ships leaving UK ports, but that direction would possibly be best for finding any records of Master and crew on vessels leaving the UK ports.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline glendan561

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 06:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,
Thanks for your prompt response. I believe it is the latter ship and I might be heading down a rabbit hole with this. I have no concrete proof the seaman in question was a crew member. All I have is a vague entry in the admissions register at the Canterbury Women’s Refuge in Gordon Street, Christchurch.

Glenda
Smith (Elgin & Knockando), Duncan (Morayshire), Rose (Sutherland),Alexander (Morayshire), MacLennan (Morayshire), Milne (Glenlivet), Golding, Williams (Swansea,Wales), Tregoning, Haworth (Bury, Lancashire)

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 07:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You might interested in this website:

CLIP - the Crew List Index Project.
https://www.crewlist.org.uk/

Here is a description of the SS Triumph of 1883:

Star, 10 October 1883, page 3
SHIPPING NOTES.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01t58/

Evening Post, 30 November 1883, Page 3
THE S.S. TRIUMPH AGROUND.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01t59/

Regards,

Spades

ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 08:15 BST (UK) »
A brief description of the cause of the wreck and history of the area.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/tiritiri-matangi-you-light-up-my-life/HDNTNRRKW2RAQIHJJHCE5B7SYU/

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 May 24 00:34 BST (UK) »
...    I believe it is the latter ship and I might be heading down a rabbit hole with this. I have no concrete proof the seaman in question was a crew member. All I have is a vague entry in the admissions register at the Canterbury Women’s Refuge in Gordon Street, Christchurch.

Glenda

Hi Glenda

Can you explain further please - or give us a reference regarding the "admissions register at Canterbury Women's Refuge, Christchurch" and how this specifically ties in with the man you are seeking (Hector McKenzie McNEIL).

~  Lu

Offline glendan561

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 May 24 01:18 BST (UK) »
On admission to Gordon Street, Margaret Alice was asked about the baby's father.  She stated the father was Hector McNeil, a seaman from SS Triumph. She attended Gordon Street in September 1887, her son, named Albert Hector was born later the same month. She remained at Gordon Street until early 1888.

Hector McNeil (Snr) was a carpenter who lived in Invercargill however, I don't believe he was the father of this particular baby however, Margaret Alice did work for Hector McNeil from April 1884 and she had her first child, Annie, in May 1885 in Lumsden. Unfortunately, she only survived 49 days. He might have been Annie's father but it's doubtful he was the father of Albert Hector. She left Lumsden in approximately 1885 and I can't locate her until Gordon Street in September 1887.

Hector also had a son, Hector McKenzie McNeil who was about 17 when Margaret Alice arrived in Invercargill. So, there are two males, father and son, who could have been the father of her first child. No name has been recorded on either birth registration.

Hector McKenzie McNeil left NZ and the next time I can locate him is when he's living in Melbourne, Australia. I can't find him on any passenger manifest despite working my way through PROV. Working as a seaman he would have had an opportunity to start over in a place nobody knew him. Hector jar died in Melbourne in 1917, two years after his father and Margaret Alice died in tragic circumstances in 1891 in Christchurch, leaving behind her four year old son.

Many thanks for all assistance.

Glenda

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 May 24 01:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Glenda ... that's all good information (and I see it connects to your earlier HAWORTH thread).

*  Can you please also supply the actual link to the Admission Record (Canterbury Refuge) ?
[Haven't been able to locate it at NZ Archives).

~  Lu

Offline glendan561

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 May 24 02:11 BST (UK) »
The Gordon Street document was obtained via Archives NZ. The quality of print is poor and I don't have the authority to reproduce it.

Glenda