Author Topic: Gentlemen Only Funerals in Wales - Why?  (Read 1034 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gentlemen Only Funerals in Wales - Why?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 05 May 24 08:48 BST (UK) »
My paternal grandmother wore widows weeds from the time my grandfather died in 1928 to the day she died in 1942.  As most things were rationed in WWII, I have no idea how she managed it.

She probably didn't buy many new clothes. Years ago it was fairly common to dye clothing black when going into mourning and perhaps she did this when her husband died or since it was pre-rationing she did purchase some new items of clothing in black.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 05 May 24 23:45 BST (UK) »
Rena, yes- Churching ,my mother in law would not let me into her house , we had gone shopping with the new baby in his pram, we intended calling as we passed that way.
Did our shopping and called in the return journey.
I had underestimated how tired I was, so when she would not let me in the house ,my husband said I needed to sit down, so a chair was brought to the door- the back door  as that was used more than the front ?
It started to rain and honestly she kindly brought out her umbrella for me!!!
 It was a superstition still strongly held as late as 1956!

Churching was seen as like the ritual cleansing Jewish women had to have, but was also transferred to Christian women.
 We had sinned ! Nothing about men though!  ::)

Another superstition was a baby would not gain weight or thrive until it was Baptised!!!
Well my first baby gained twelve ounces the first week .

Utter Rubbish !

Viktoria.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 06 May 24 00:37 BST (UK) »
"Utter Rubbish !"

Well, that's religion for you.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 06 May 24 09:25 BST (UK) »
"Utter Rubbish !"
Well, that's religion for you.
And, as Viktoria suggests, much of religion beyond historical facts recorded in holy books, becomes superstition when ritualised.  My belief is that most religion originated as attempts to explain unusual or extraordinary phenomena.  Science has revealed causes for many such things, so most people are much less superstitious now.  Sadly a good deal persists as culture wars rather than proper 'religion'.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 06 May 24 10:46 BST (UK) »
No Erato ,that is not the whole picture by any means .
Just one aspect where superstition is meant as religious observance .

So much help and aid is given through religion ,also secular societies of course.
People not understanding always the profound beliefs will seek other ways
so  the need for physical things like statues etc come in .
That was easier than praying to what? Something you can not see or hear or touch?
Something physical to worship was easier but the good intention was and is always there.
Our Christian principles are often based on the Laws of Judaism, but delve into those and you get the good sense necessary for example in nomadic desert peoples, as were Jews originally, certain food laws made very good sense, also the personal hygiene laws.

Almost every religion has had women as second class, but the Jewish laws do give consideration to women and their specific needs lacking in other religions.

A complex subject and my “ Rubbish “  was about superstitions being seen as religious rules through misinterpretation .
A woman needs time to recover after childbirth ,some men might not be considerate ,but tell them something will be to their disadvantage and they will allow their wife time to recover .
Easy when they have more than one as did many Old Testament characters.

We could go on for years about this subject but my “rubbish “ was about religious observance taking precedence over  kindness and consideration.
But I never forget ,my mother in law did bring me an umbrella!

Viktoria.