Author Topic: Ancestors from Devon but are buried in PEI… why?  (Read 202 times)

Offline Cyborggirl18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestors from Devon but are buried in PEI… why?
« on: Thursday 02 May 24 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi all! First time posting on here. I have a question that keeps me up at night… lol.

My ancestors were born and raised in Devon. In September 1800 my ancestor Thomas Guard was born and baptized in Huntshaw Devon. He then was married in 1826 to my ancestor Ann Shapland in Bishops Tawton. But my question is this… both of their graves are in Prince Edward Island. It’s confirmed to be them because on their headstone it says they are from Devon England. There is no record of them on any ship, or even living there (I have reached out to the PEI historical society). So in that case, was it popular to get buried there? Maybe they died on the way. Was this trendy at that time? Any help would be much appreciated!

Online Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestors from Devon but are buried in PEI… why?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 14:39 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!
There is a record of the family in the 1841 census showing that Thomas and Ann have two children at this point, James Guard and Elizabeth Guard.
There is also a record of James Guard marrying in Prince Edward Island in 1854, and having family there also. He was a Farmer, and I guess Thomas and Ann moved there in their later years to be with him and his family. Thomas died 14th December 1871, and Ann died 12th June 1874.
Regards
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Cyborggirl18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 14:53 BST (UK) »
Wow! Thank you so much for this, my direct ancestor is Elizabeth, which is why I must have missed this crucial piece of information. Where did you find this out?

Kind regards,
Ashley

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 May 24 06:11 BST (UK) »
It's on ancestry.

James married Sarah Cudmore 25 August 1854 Charlottetown.