Author Topic: Help With Latin Manorial Record  (Read 223 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Help With Latin Manorial Record
« on: Friday 03 May 24 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi all. Is anyone here able to help me work out what this record says relating to Richard Brett? It is extracted from manorial records relating to Kennington, Kent, and I think it is a record relating to his death but I am not sure. Any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated.

Matt

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help With Latin Manorial Record
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 May 24 16:14 BST (UK) »
This is about Richard Brett of Kennington who had some land called Chappell Croft. Upon his death this has descended to Richard Brett his son and heir.
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 01:26 BST (UK) »
This is about Richard Brett of Kennington who had some land called Chappell Croft. Upon his death this has descended to Richard Brett his son and heir.

Many thanks for that info. I hope I can figure out what the whole thing says but having the basic info is useful to know exactly who it relates to.

Sadly I now don't think he's one of my Bretts but he may be related.

thank you again.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 13:34 BST (UK) »
I hope I can figure out what the whole thing says ...

Likewise, they [the jurors] say and present that Richard Brett, lately of Kennington, who held from the lord of this manor, as of his manor of Ulley aforesaid, for customary services and a relief when it should occur, and for the annual rent of one penny to be paid at the aforesaid feast, one piece or parcel of land called Chappell Croft, containing half an acre of land, at present being [at? Hemspott?] in the occupation of Richard Brett his son, abutting onto the king’s highway there towards the south, onto a certain lane there called Canterbury Lane towards the east, and onto the lands of the lord of the aforesaid manor called Kingsland on the west and the north; [Richard senior] has died since the last court being seised thereof, whereupon there falls to the lord a relief, namely one penny; and upon his death the aforesaid premises descend to the aforesaid Richard Brett his son, and to his [Richard junior’s] heirs; and this relief the aforesaid Richard Brett the son has paid into the court, to acknowledge his tenure; and he has done fealty to the lord and has thenceforth been admitted tenant.