Author Topic: West Sleekburn Cemetery  (Read 137 times)

Offline Dawn Uniat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
West Sleekburn Cemetery
« on: Friday 03 May 24 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hello, Wondering if I can find out if my grandmother is buried in what was St Peters, Stakeford, now called West Sleekburn: Mary Frances Coxon nee Guthrie, died in 1967. Also my great grandmother, Edith Guthrie Gorman nee Marshall, died in 1947. I hope to visit in June. Is there anyone I can contact for information? Thanks!

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: West Sleekburn Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 May 24 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,local newspapers like the Evening Chronicle and The Journal print death notices and these would say where a burial took place.Someone may be able to do a look up for you at Newcastle Library,but you would need to give the dates of death.
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell
Durham/Northumberland-Mellanby
Cornwall-Chenhall,Bodinner
Fife-Mitchell,Gourlay,Dryburgh

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 May 24 23:07 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Do you know their exact dates of death?

Edith's death reg shows she was 70 but does not have a middle name of Guthrie.  She was living in Bedlington in 1939

There is no death reg in 1967 for a Mary Frances Coxon.  There is a 1963 reg for a Mary F Coxon b 1915 but it was in Durham - not Northumberland
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Dawn Uniat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 May 24 14:31 BST (UK) »
Edith Gorman, nee Marshall, died in October 1947. Guthrie is the name of her first husband so probably does not appear in the records. Mary Frances Coxon, nee Guthrie, died in Canada in 1967 so that is why there is no death record but her ashes were sent to be buried in Stakeford.
I hope to visit the churchyard in a couple of weeks and any information to help me find the graves woud be appreciated! Thank you.