Author Topic: Ireland Prison look up  (Read 127 times)

Offline Emu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ireland Prison look up
« on: Saturday 04 May 24 06:55 BST (UK) »
Hi! I am wondering if someone could look up Irish Prison records please and send a copy?
James Egan had 3 convictions. James is my 2x Gr Grandfather from Dublin. I know his final conviction was in 1843 and stole boots/shoes and was held in Kilmainham Gaol. I am looking for the other convictions, possibly pickpocketing and Newgate Prison Dublin.
Many thanks,
Lesley  Australia.
Bradley-Birmingham.ENG. Evans-Staffordshire ENG. Egan-Dublin IREL. McVeigh-Co.Armagh,IREL.Kuchler & Fehringer-Mannheim GERMANY.McGowan - Longford IRELAND. Evans - Welshpool WALES. Frenden-Stockholm, SWEDEN. Kimmorley, London ENG.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland Prison look up
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 May 24 10:16 BST (UK) »
A James Egan appeared in Court in January 1843 accused of stealing 2 pairs of shoes with a fellow prisoner. One newspaper reported the verdict with reference to Egan's previous offences, another the prisoner Egan's reaction to the verdict.

Might this be your James?

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 May 24 10:20 BST (UK) »
The Court’s records were most likely kept in the Public Record Office in Dublin, and destroyed in the fire there during the 1922 civil war. Newspaper reports like the above are probably all that’s left to find.
Elwyn

Offline Emu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 May 24 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you for replies. Yes, indeed this is my James Egan! I already have the 2nd report where he danced the jig and I have had this copy the last 2 yrs. He was quiet the comedian our James! This report had me in fits of laughter (and still does) I see that the other being shoplifting for his previous offences. James sounded like he wanted to be caught. I have been researching James for many yrs. Currently writing notes/story. James was sent to Van Diemens Land, now Tasmania. I have found quite alot over the years. Many thanks,
Lesley.
Bradley-Birmingham.ENG. Evans-Staffordshire ENG. Egan-Dublin IREL. McVeigh-Co.Armagh,IREL.Kuchler & Fehringer-Mannheim GERMANY.McGowan - Longford IRELAND. Evans - Welshpool WALES. Frenden-Stockholm, SWEDEN. Kimmorley, London ENG.