Author Topic: Chasing BELLS  (Read 84 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Chasing BELLS
« on: Saturday 04 May 24 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi all! It's been a while!

I'm quietly optimistic that I'm on the trail of my illegitimate 2xgt grandfather's unknown father. Patient DNA investigation has led me to point the finger of suspicion at the sons and grandsons of a particular couple I keep matching with (provided his father was himself legitimate of course!!)

My top suspect appears to have been abducted by aliens after a certain point so I'm hoping some eagle eyes might be able to help me track him down.

Benjamin BELL 1831 South Shields (son of Benjamin BELL and Georgiana TELFORD)

1841 census- unknown: youngest children missing from the household of Benjamin Snr (widower)
[Edit- living in household of grandmother Frances TELFORD in Kelloe, Durham]

1851 census- 1831 Westoe, Durham, living Seghill Northumberland (with father Benjamin Snr and siblings Henry and (Isaac) Haggerston).
[My ancestor, born 1830, was in Seghill at this point with a conception of late 1852]

1861 census- 1832 South Shields, living Cramlington Northumberland (with Benjamin Snr and Haggerston)

1871 census- 1833 Cramlington, living Shank House Cramlington, with niece Georgiana SIMPSON and her husband Edward.

He is not in the SIMPSON household in 1881 and in 1887/1888 they emigrate to Missouri. I did wonder if Benjamin emigrated ahead of them but I can't find him there either.

Please note- Benjamin BELL born Walker who married Margaret and died Tynemouth 1906 is a different guy (although possibly related).

Any help welcome!

Ayashi

Online fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing BELLS
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 May 24 12:08 BST (UK) »
There are 4 Bell children, all "not born in county" living with a Telford family in Kelloe Co Durham in 1841

Ref HO107/313/12 page 6 and 7
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing BELLS
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 May 24 12:25 BST (UK) »
There are 4 Bell children, all "not born in county" living with a Telford family in Kelloe Co Durham in 1841

Ref HO107/313/12 page 6 and 7

Well spotted, thank you! Haggerston is missing, but that's John, Frances, Benjamin and Henry. John is another candidate but I haven't been able to follow him either, so that's at least confirmation he was alive in 1841.