Author Topic: Royal Livery Stables in Hulme, Manchester  (Read 864 times)

Offline iowagirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Livery Stables in Hulme, Manchester
« on: Sunday 05 May 24 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, You have all helped me in the past with my Grange family in Manchester - particularly their home, The Hollies, and their business, The Grand Junction Pub.  I am hoping someone might know what the above place/business is/was.
It is mentioned in a spreadsheet dated August, 1914.  There are 3 columns, date; parties and description.
Heading:  Royal Livery Stables in Hulme, Manchester, subject to Chief Rent of £19 3 0
1. 22 May 1848  John Roberts to Hannah Sutcliffe  Feoffment
2. 11 Aug 1871  Hannah Sutcliffe of 1st part, Samuel Skaife Grange 2nd part and Charles Major 3rd part  Converyance
3.  3 Dec 1877  Mary Hopwood & Samuel Skaife Grange  Grant of right to interfere with lights
4.  1 May 1878  Mary Hopwood & Samuel Skaife Grange  Deed endorsed on last mentioned grant
5.  1 Mar 1911   E & SS Grange to SS Grange  Conveyance
I think John Roberts owned/leased/ran the Grand Junction around 1850 or so.
Charles Major (Mager) was married to Mary Skaife, sister to Jane Skaife Grange - wife of Samuel Skaife Grange.
E Grange is Edwin and he and SS Grange were sons of Samuel Skaife Grange.
Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Livery Stables in Hulme, Manchester
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 May 24 17:28 BST (UK) »
There are newspaper references dating from 1885 relating to Royal Livery Stables, Preston Street, Hulme. Nothing earlier that I can see.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 May 24 17:54 BST (UK) »
Side-by-side map view showing where Preston-street was in Hulme (it runs bottom left to top right in the LH panel.

https://tinyurl.com/bdz7kja4

Offline iowagirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 May 24 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan, Thanks for your reply.  I haven't found a mention of the Stables in the newspapers, but will look again.
I'm not certain what I'm looking at in maps comparison.  I found the Grange Junction, at the intersection of Preston, Jackson and Warde Streets in older map.  Changed quite a bit in newer maps.
Was there a mention of the Royal Livery Stables that I missed?  Appreciate your help, sorry I'm a "little slow" on the uptake here.  Elaine

Offline iowagirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 May 24 18:44 BST (UK) »
Alan, I did see the mention of the horses for sale at Royal Livery Stable, Preston Street.
Hopefully I will find something else for more explanation.  Thank you so much for your time and replies.

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 May 24 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan, Thanks for your reply.  I haven't found a mention of the Stables in the newspapers, but will look again.
I'm not certain what I'm looking at in maps comparison.  I found the Grange Junction, at the intersection of Preston, Jackson and Warde Streets in older map.  Changed quite a bit in newer maps.
Was there a mention of the Royal Livery Stables that I missed?  Appreciate your help, sorry I'm a "little slow" on the uptake here.  Elaine

No, I’ve looked at various maps, including earlier ones, and I see no sign of any stables. I’m not even convinced that the newspaper references are to the same place as your document. Where was hte Grand Junction by the way?

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 May 24 19:10 BST (UK) »
No mention of livery stables in Preston Street in this directory of 1895.  The Grand Junction is on the NE corner at No. 2.

https://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/collection/p16445coll4/id/153116/rec/9

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 May 24 20:40 BST (UK) »
Going back to your "spreadsheet" (#1) this sounds like a summary of an Abstract of Title prepared for the next conveyance of this property, to prove the chain of ownership and the vendor's right to sell it.  Or, it is the "Deeds referred to", listed at the end of the next conveyance.

A feoffment is a form of conveyance, which went out of use shortly after the first deed, when the law relating to conveyances was simplified.  Charles Major may be there acting as a trustee to Grange, not owning a share in the property.

Offline iowagirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 May 24 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Molly, I think Samuel Skaife Grange (my 2xgg'father) and Charles Mager, besides being related thru marriage, might also be partners at the Grand Junction Pub.  Charles is shown as a publican in some on the censuses, and possibly lived there.

Yes, the info on the spreadsheet was basically an abstract of owners from 1848 thru 1870 something or other.  John Roberts is listed and I know that he either owned or leased or was employed at Grand Junction before Samuel Skaife Grange.  I just wondered if possibly it was the same place with a different name in 1848. 
Thanks for input.  All appreciated.