Author Topic: Parish burials  (Read 731 times)

Offline baytree1970

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish burials
« on: Monday 06 May 24 11:30 BST (UK) »
Maybe a silly question, but if a person is listed in the parish burial register, does that mean they were buried in the parish church graveyard?

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish burials
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 May 24 12:16 BST (UK) »
It usually does, but it may depend on the date.

Burials that took place in a local cemetery (20th century) that I know of have been recorded in the church's register, possibly because the the minister carried out the funeral service.  I don't know if this was a practice peculiar to this particular vicar.  Generally the burials in municipal cemeteries that I have found don't appear in the parish registers. 

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 May 24 13:19 BST (UK) »
I have at least one example of the burial service taking place in the village where the deceased had been living, but the deceased was buried in the churchyard in the village where they had been born, some 30 miles away. I wouls say that if a name is in the burial register then the burial service took place in that church but not necessarily the interment.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 May 24 13:42 BST (UK) »
I have an urban parish churchyard which was closed in 1854.  Burials appear in the parish register up to 1881, after which they were not entered.  Change of vicar?  The same burials generally appear in the register of the nearest cemetery, with more details.

Offline baytree1970

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 May 24 14:39 BST (UK) »
The burial I have in mind was mid 1850s in a rural English parish. Also, the person concerned was a non-conformist, although listed in the parish register.

Does that narrow things down at all?

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 May 24 19:27 BST (UK) »
  I would say it was likely the burial took place in the church graveyard; many non-conformist chapels did not have graveyards.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 May 24 21:27 BST (UK) »
As already posted it depends on the time period of a burial, early 19th century, 18th century or before were big parishes with a mother parish church with it own churchyard, but the parish had chapelry churches with their own churchyards in different villages in the big parish and the burial sometimes recorded in chapelry register and duplicated in the parish mother church register.

It could get more complicated when  2 or more big parishes boundary met in the same village

For example;- Holmfirth in the then old West Riding of Yorkshire in England UK, Kirkburton Parish was in the south of Holmfirth and Almondbury parish in the north but the mother churches of both parishes were miles away near Huddersfield and close to each other by a mile or two. Then to make life more complicated some pockets in Holmfirth Almondbury parish boundary belonged to Kirkirburton parish.  (One big headache for a researcher  :(:)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 May 24 22:22 BST (UK) »
  It also depends where in the country they were. Dobfarm is describing North country parishes, I think, which bears little resemblance to the parishes in my area, which are smaller with one ancient church and graveyard.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 04:22 BST (UK) »
  It also depends where in the country they were. Dobfarm is describing North country parishes, I think, which bears little resemblance to the parishes in my area, which are smaller with one ancient church and graveyard.

I agree, there was ancient  parishes of various sizes and its not always the case a member of the  parish church (Minster) is buried in that churchyard, there is a case were one male who died 1845 died aged 60 years who had been a Overseer in the Selby (Minster) parish  administration was found buried in a Quaker burial ground as a none practicing member.

There are cases where a deceased was buried in the nearest churchyard ? even though it was in another parish to their abode, as parish boundaries and road routes to nearest church were not always the same thing - that could be miles difference in travel their own parish church. (Mostly in rural countryside parishes)

Best take nothing for granted in genealogy
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth