Author Topic: Help understanding a record of service / Army Form B200  (Read 209 times)

Offline TenburyWells

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help understanding a record of service / Army Form B200
« on: Monday 06 May 24 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was wondering if I could ask for help from those who are much more knowledgeable than I am! We have recently had back my late grandads service record. We never knew much about his time in the army and we were hopeful that the service record would help understanding his earlier life.

It’s actually in two parts I’ve attached part 1 as we are struggling with understanding the postings and detail. I think it shows he was posted in Germany for 16 months.

Anyhelp on this would be really appreciated  :).

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help understanding a record of service / Army Form B200
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 May 24 16:35 BST (UK) »
I think it shows he was posted in Germany for 16 months.

18 months - to BAOR on 26 October 1954, back to UK on 30 April 1956.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TenburyWells

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 May 24 09:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shaun,

Ah that helps, so the first bit before from the 7/5/54 - 26/10/54 is essentially enrolment / initial training?
Then the rest 26/10/54 - 30/4/56, all relates to being in Germany / BAOR.

It’s a silly question really and the form might not show. But he never spoke about this at all; so we are clueless. I don’t suppose it indicates what unit / where he was?

Thanks again.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 May 24 11:05 BST (UK) »
In Germany he was posted to 11th Armoured Division, then in 1956 his Signals unit was redesignated as part of 4th Infantry Division.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4th_Infantry_Division_(United_Kingdom)

Possibly he was based at Herford at that time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herford
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 May 24 12:23 BST (UK) »
Just to add a little more flesh to the bones that Shaun has already given you, 7 Training Regiment was based in Catterick, and 5 Training Regt was at Prestatyn, although it moved to Catterick in the early years of the 1950s. While at 5 TR he passed his signals trade training (STT) and came out a class 4  B trade driver, hence his rank was changed from signalman to driver. When he went to BAOR he would have been stationed in Hammersmith Barracks, Herford with the 11th Armoured Divisional Signal Regiment, which then became 4th Infantry Divisional Signal Regiment, remaining in the same barracks. The Divisional headquarters was in Wentworth Barracks, across the road from Hammersmith. Throughout his tour in Germany, his commanding officer was Lt Col J P North MBE R SIGNALS.
While in Germany he passed the English module of the Army Certificate of Education (ACE) class 3. There was an Army Education Centre in the same barracks. He would have needed his maths ACE 3 if he wanted to get promoted to corporal, but as he was doing his National Service, promotion was probably not high on his list of ambitions.

Offline TenburyWells

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 May 24 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi both,

I just wanted to say a big big thank you for your help on this. This helps myself and my mum understand this earlier part of his life which we don’t know much about. Thank you.

Looking at the map the odd thing is I was actually close to Herford, last year. Little did I know. Maybe a reason to return to that part of Germany. Thanks again  :)

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 May 24 20:52 BST (UK) »
The barracks are no longer used by the military, but the buildings still exist. You can see them here on Google Earth. They are on either side of Liststrasse. What was Wentworth Bks is the single large building on the left of Liststrasse, and what was Hammersmith Bks is the five large buildings and several smaller ones on Mary Somerville Boulevard.

Offline TenburyWells

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 May 24 09:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andy,

I’ve written this down and saved. Given that it wouldn’t be out of my way, makes sense to at least pop by on my drive and see the place. Thanks again 👍