Author Topic: Rychard carter of Boughton under Blean  (Read 268 times)

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rychard carter of Boughton under Blean
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 11:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks, David.  I don't see how you have linked the burial to the 1562 baptism.  Why couldn't the person buried in 1601 have been born, in, say, 1585?

Offline David Boulding

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 12:06 BST (UK) »
Because his will names all his brothers and sister (and nephew) and I know the dates of their baptisms as well.
Boulding Boulden Bollyng (all - mostly Kent)
Finch (Kent - Henry & Elizabeth (Fossett)  Finch m1687  London)
Foord (Kent - Aldington, Stanford area)
Philpot (Kent - Alexander Philpot died 1601 Ashford)
Waggon/Waghorn (Kent pre 1715)
Rose (Kent)

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 12:21 BST (UK) »
David, what is so special about the 1562 baptism that means it must be the person buried in 1601?  For instance, how do you know the 1562 child didn't die and a later child wasn't christened Richard?

Offline David Boulding

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 12:28 BST (UK) »
I agree that's possible. But as his father died in 1577 he'd still be a minimum of 24 years old. Hardly  "iuvenis". His 1601 will and his father's 1577 will prove the relationships exactly. I cannot PROVE he was about 39 but I can prove he was older than 24.
Rose (Kent)

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 15:41 BST (UK) »
David, could you tell us the date when the will was written and when it was proved, please?

Offline David Boulding

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 15:45 BST (UK) »
Will Carter Richard Boughton under Blean 1601 1601 PRC/32/39/19c PRC/31/46 C/2 1601

Transcribed by Mike Cozens In the name of God amen The first day of July in the year of our lord 1601. I Richard Carter of the parish of Boughton under Blean in the County of Kent, yeoman sick in body but whole in mind and of good remembrance and perfect god be therefore thanked, do make and ordain my last will and testament in manner and form following.

First I commend my soul into the hands of god my creator and redeemer and my body to be buried in the churchyard of Boughton aforementioned between the church and the ? on the north side of the church.

Item I bequeath and give to my nephew Isaack Carter and of the son of my brother John Carter all that my house and tenement in Boughton Street and also the orchard and garden with three yards of land be it more or less occupied to the said house with all and singular appurtenances all situated being and lying in Boughton aforesaid to the said Isaack Carter at his age of two and thirty years and to his heirs forever.

And my will and meaning is that my brother John Carter shall take and receive the whole rent and profit of my said tenement and all other the premises until his said son Isaack shall come to his full age of two and thirty years aforesaid.

And that my said brother John Carter shall pay yearly unto my sister Margaret Ruck the wife of Ciriake Rucke of Boughton forenamed forty shillings of current money of England out of the said tenement and other premises and for and during the space of fifteen years next after my death.

If the said Margaret do so being due with yearly sum of forty shillings my said brother John Carter or his assigns shall pay to my said sister Margaret Ruck at the two usual feasts in the year (viz) at the feast of the Annunciation of the blessed virgin Mary and the feast of Saint Michael the Archangel by even and equal portions and if it shall happen the said yearly sum of forty shillings or any part thereof be behind and unpaid, seven days next after any of the said feasts, then my will and meaning is that my said sister Margaret Ricke or her assigns shall and may distrain according to any order of ? of law upon the premises or any part thereof and the said distresses to hold and keep until such time as she be fully satisfied contented and paid.

And further my will and meaning is that my said brother John Carter shall as his own cost and charges sufficiently maintain and repair the house or tenement with the ? and buildings thereunto belonging till his said son Isaack come to his full age aforesaid.

And I make my brother Ciriake Rucke sole executor of this my last will and testament.

Item I give to the poor of the parish of Boughton aforesaid ten shillings of lawfull money of England to be given them at the or before the feast of the Annunciation of the blessed virgin Mary next coming after my decease.

Item I give to my uncle John Bayley ten shillings of like money of England to be paid him within one month next after my decease.

Item I give to my brother John Carter all my ? growing about my aforesaid house. Item my will and meaning is that my legacies shall be paid out of my moveable goods so far as they will extend but if they be not sufficient to pay them then I will that the residue shall be supplied out of the rents of said lands and equally borne between my brother John Carter and my Sister Margaret Ruck aforesaid by me Richard Carter. Confirmed by the testator in the presence of William Plare? and Richard Rucke

Probate 20th September 1601 - Executor Cirriac Rucke
Rose (Kent)

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 16:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks, David.  I agree, it does look as if the man buried was the testator in the will.

I don't see any reason to translate iuvenis as the younger here, especially considering that you weren't able to mention a Richard who might be regarded as the elder.  As already noted, junior would be the normal word for the younger.

That leaves us with the meaning of a young man, which is what I think it must be.  Perhaps, on reflection, it could be someone as old as 39.  I see from my classical Latin dictionary that it is given another meaning of "one in the prime of life" and Cicero is quoted as saying it was between the 20th and 40th year.  That's a surprise to me.  Exactly what age range the word conveyed in 17th century England I don't know.

Perhaps someone can add to this.

Offline David Boulding

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 16:39 BST (UK) »
Sadly the one year of Latin I studied aged 11 did me little good. Although I learned by rote the various declensions and can still parrot them. I assume my mother who assisted me must also have learned both Latin and French.

But interesting that your dictionary has a meaning "one in the prime of life" that few would guess in these times

I suspect there is much we don't understand with the nicety of translations. We also assume that the vicar knew Latin well and I've read enough to know from the Visitations to suggest that many didn't know very much at all.

Age is also relative. To be a man of (say) 39 to an aging vicar Richard may well have appeared to be young. Having said that this particular vicar appears to have been a very similar age to the deceased! Perhaps a case of the vicar thinking this fellow is really too young to die...

PLACE, WILLIAM. Matric. sizar from St John's, Michs. 1582 ; B.A. 15S5-6. Probably V. of Boughton-under-Blean, Kent, 1590-1637, 'B.A.' Died Apr. 3, 1637.
Rose (Kent)