Author Topic: Relationships In An Ancestry Public Tree  (Read 505 times)

Offline antonymark

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Relationships In An Ancestry Public Tree
« on: Tuesday 07 May 24 01:18 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Is there a way to see how a person in an Ancestry tree relates to the 'Home' person or to anyone else in that tree?

My 3xgreat grandparents, their children and grandchildren feature in a vast tree (56k plus) and they don't seem to be direct line to the home person. I'd looked at this tree some time ago and couldn't fathom the connection but everything they had on 'my' people seems accurate as far as I can tell.

I now have a DNA match whose great grandparents are in that same tree. We are quite distant matches and keen to work out our relationship.

Is there a way of seeing that 'x' is related to 'y' and connected to the home person by 'z' ?

Our next step is to contact the tree owner but I'd like some of our 'ducks in a row' and have some specific questions to ask rather than a random enquiry.

Tony.

Hoare, Milsted, Peacock, Herbert, Crampin, McIlroy, Holden, Hilton, Fawcett.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Relationships In An Ancestry Public Tree
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 08:32 BST (UK) »
Apart from looking at horizontal view and checking out all their direct ancestors  I dont know how you can do this

I've just been doing this once you get past 5 generations you have to click on each person to go further

When you reach a common surname on a profile you can check for siblings & spouses .
But it's very time consuming

Probably easier to make contact and ask them

Good luck
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline SouthseaSteel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 09:30 BST (UK) »

On the "person screen", the relationship is stated to the Home Person

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 12:52 BST (UK) »
The precise relationship is only stated after.you program it in yourself  ( by selecting the relationship) otherwise it will appear as 1-2nd cousin
Close relative
Or " distant relative"

For example ancestry can not tell which person is the child and which the parent if not linked to a tree

The more distant the relationship the more possibilities there are

Offline SouthseaSteel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 14:46 BST (UK) »
The precise relationship is only stated after.you program it in yourself  ( by selecting the relationship) otherwise it will appear as 1-2nd cousin
Close relative
Or " distant relative"

For example ancestry can not tell which person is the child and which the parent if not linked to a tree

Indeed, but that isnt the question within the OP.  They merely need to ascertain relationships within a given tree.  Now if only Ancestry allowed us to work that out for any 2 people instead of having to set various folks as the Home person!!!

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 18:19 BST (UK) »
So they would need the  person who has the vast tree to change their home person !

They don't have all these people on their own tree

As I understand it the vast tree does NOT belong to the OP
Or their DNA match
The 2 people who are communicating with each other would both need to build their trees up until they find the connection.

Offline antonymark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 23:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brigidmac and SouthseaSteel for your replies.

When I look at a profile in my own tree it appears as in the Mary McEvoy example posted by SouthseaSteel showing the relationship to me as home person. It seems that a profile of a person in a different user's tree does not show the relationship to the home person or to anyone else. I was just wanting to check that I was not missing a trick.

I have used the horizontal tree view as described by Brigidmac with some success in other trees when looking for clues. The 'find in tree' button is quite useful. It's just that this tree is so huge and neither mine or my match's people are direct line to the home person.

The next thing we'll do is message the tree owner and meanwhile we are both building our own trees to try and find how we are connected. The shared matches we have are in the line of my 3xgreat grandparents that appear in that tree which is why it was so intriguing when my match's great grandparents are in the same tree.

Thanks again, Tony.
Hoare, Milsted, Peacock, Herbert, Crampin, McIlroy, Holden, Hilton, Fawcett.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 May 24 01:06 BST (UK) »
Any tree that large is almost certain to be bogus anyway - a "collector". So probably not missing much, if anything.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 May 24 07:43 BST (UK) »
It depends on definition of " Huge"

Not all ' collectors " are bogus 

You will find that latter-day saints researcher's are very serious and research is excellent . They have been researching for years and include distant relationships.

My mother's tree has over 6.000 people....is that "huge "
She included  her mother's adoptive family and descendants
Anderson other adoptees families along the generations also immediate families of in-laws because it helps confirm that the correct couple is being followed especially with SMITH & JONES family.

I have been able to help DNA distant matches whose ancestors were brought up by birth father . Distant relatives. & Non related couples .

OP  says this person has correctly identified their family members

Another quick hint which might help if you believe they are " copiers" is to see which images are in their gallery or on profile of your own family
Look at who else has " copied " the image . Their trees may be smaller and connection more obvious
I contact anyone who copies a picture of my father . One person belonged to the family of his second wife ! Who I hadn't included on my tree