Author Topic: Bones Purdy marriage help needed please to find the registration  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Bones Purdy marriage help needed please to find the registration
« on: Tuesday 07 May 24 03:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am looking for a little help to find  a record of marriage between a John Purdy and Minnie Bones, which  I can't  find after  many months and months of trying. I am hoping someone can spot it ,where I have failed to do so.

Details on  birth cert  which I hold for their eldest child purchased from Groni, William Purdy  11th Nov 1922 address  knockboy ( sub reg Broughshane, reg Ballymena)
Mother on  cert, Minnie Bones, father John Purdy.(  labourer)
Present at birth was Lizzie Bones (which I think is the brides mother,if I  have the right Minnie Bones in the 1911 census, which I am almost confident is her,  or could be her sister Sarah as her middle name is Elizabeth)

Mary/ Minnie  died  in 1990    (husband John  died  back in the 1960s from a mining accident . I  have his death cert , plus various records including newspaper reports, I don't  have his wife's death  cert ,  but I have her obituary and various  newspaper reports ),

Minnie/Mary Bones was born  9 feb 1902 in the townland of Pollee  , near Broughshane ( named Mary on her own birth registration/cert ,   Minnie on her son William's  birth cert,  both Mary  and Minnie on other various  records). I can't  find her birth  on Irish Genealogy site, for some  reason, it probably hasn't  been uploaded, but it can be found on Groni . I haven't purchased her birth cert as it is showing mother's  name Thompson( andn her sister  Sarah's cert  is on Irish Genealogy to  view the details freely).

Parents William Bones (Iron ore miner on both her sister's birth and on censuses) and lizzie/Elizabeth Thompson, both parents  are also in the  2 censuses in Pollee ( 1911 with her daughter Minnie + Sarah)

(John was born + bred in  the townland Loughconnoly 21 feb 1900,  who  is my grandmother's oldest  sibling, I don't need any help with John's history  ,I am  just trying to find his official marriage to his wife Mary )

John + Mary  spent the majority of their married life ( and after her husband died)  at Tullymore cottages Broughshane , except for where  William, their 1st b child  was born ( knockboy). It was probably their  first home together  after they "married", or perhaps  that was her parents home in the year of 1922, and they were living with them for that short time when she was pregnant/ giving birth with  1st born, I don't know.

William I am pretty sure is 1st born as far as ages/ order of births of all their known children are concerned- all their other known children were born 1924   to 1941 ,( the youngest child was  born 1941 and died in 1973) .
 A few of John and Mary's children I know for  100% sure are deceased ( including William who died in 1992)  , but won't  name all their other children ( they had  a load of children from first  born 1922 up until the youngest  in 1941)   just in case some of the others are still alive, (it was only less two years  ago that one of their  daughters died.

I can't  seem to find their marriage, or is it a case of they never officially married? Which strikes  me odd in this case  .
 Am I missing their  marriage registration with my searches on Groni ( and Irish  genanology) . I've also searched  the Newspapers over  the years.

I've tried all variations  I can think of, and of course also searched beyond when their first child was born.

I'd  really appreciate it if anyone  could take a look to see  if they can find their marriage,  in case I am missing the obvious and it is there looking straight at me .
 The marriage should be inbetween the years  of 1916 and 1922  - but of course could be years after  the 1922  birth of his  1st child too (  which I've  also searched but to no avail)
Kind regards

Ps the later marriage in 1948  is the marriage of  one of his other sons ,I have this cert   (this is his next  born  child,  born  abt 1924/ 1925 . I haven't got his birth certicate  yet due to 100 year rule online, and have to wait  until next year, or maybe the year  after to check if his mother  Mary says  "Bones" too (  in case his father  "married " two Mary's throughout his lifetime and first Mary died - although can't find a death for her if that was the  actual case). I don't  know  for sure if second born child  is deceased,  probably is, but have never found a death for him in the papers amd orbits . I think he was still  alive in 1992 , as he  is mentioned in his sibling's  orbit and it doesn't say  he is " late brother of" ( deceased), so there's  a small possibility he's maybe still alive today, so won't  mention his actual name.

I also have had the thought  many times, that John  could  have married twice,  to two Mary's ( eg first Mary died ) ,  but I still can't  find  the marriage to one single person called Mary/ Minnie   - where John  100% certainly had a "wife" called Mary Bones who was the mother  of his  first born child ,  plus  when John died   his wife was 100%  a  Mary ,as too  on various  records throughout, and when Mary herself died in the 1990s too.

Sorry for the long post, I've tried to put  as much  info  in  (without naming all the children  as some of them may be still alive, some I 100% know have died ,  but haven't named them either)  so others  don't  gather stuff I already have , so  not to waste  anyone's time.
It's  only the marriage I am looking for between John  Purdy and Mary/Minnie Bones, the named parents on Williams birth in 1922.
Thank you for any help.

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bones Purdy marriage help needed please to find the registration
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 04:29 BST (UK) »
The surname is indexed as BOWES for Mary's birth.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1902/01925/1745462.pdf

Debra  :)
Thank you!! :)
No wonder  I couldn't  find her birth there. I could only find it on Groni.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 10:53 BST (UK) »

(John was born + bred in  the townland Loughconnoly 21 feb 1900...

Surely you mean Loughconnelly.
https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/antrim-lower/skerry/longmore/loughconnelly/

Loughconnelly on John's birth record.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1900/02010/1772172.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 11:53 BST (UK) »
One of the death notices when John died in 1962, mentions his brother in law, Willie Bones.

There was a court case following the tragic death and Minnie was awarded a settlement. The case, as reported, clearly refers to her as widow - I wonder if she had to provide any documents at time to satisfy the court of her status, or if it was assumed to be that she was married, given she and John had, per the mentions in newspapers, 10 children.

No obvious marriage at moment in Scotland, England, Wales either.  Have you considered asking GRONI to do a manual search of the records. I had an early 1920s death missing from their online indexes which, after much questioning by myself, eventually turned up and was added?

Can't double check GRONI online indexes for you at moment as page is coming up as error - have reported it to them.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 12:03 BST (UK) »

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1900/02010/1772172.pdf

To be fair to Cell, 'Loughconnoly' was one of several spelling variations used in local records across the years.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 12:26 BST (UK) »

Not exact spelling , I usually use  Loughconnelly   spelling myself. But  if you  know  anything about the area you'd  realise that spelling  is not exact, and it was commonly  know with  the O  the further  you go back , both  E and O were  both  used throughout  time.
Sorry you're  picking hairs with spelling,   my grandmother  was born and raised  in Loughconnelly   , who I knew  extremely well , the last  of the siblings to die( her daughter   my , mum  was born  in Ballymena, as too all her siblings and  cousins  as too my second cousins ) 
You're  way off with  with  your post picking on  how  to  spell  it. ( which is neither here or there)

Kind regards.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 12:35 BST (UK) »
One of the death notices when John died in 1962, mentions his brother in law, Willie Bones.

There was a court case following the tragic death and Minnie was awarded a settlement. The case, as reported, clearly refers to her as widow - I wonder if she had to provide any documents at time to satisfy the court of her status, or if it was assumed to be that she was married, given she and John had, per the mentions in newspapers, 10 children.

No obvious marriage at moment in Scotland, England, Wales either.  Have you considered asking GRONI to do a manual search of the records. I had an early 1920s death missing from their online indexes which, after much questioning by myself, eventually turned up and was added?

Can't double check GRONI online indexes for you at moment as page is coming up as error - have reported it to them.
Thank you  so much Scotmum,
I do have  all reports  of Minne receiving the payment (also  the exact amount)  , so no need to check.  They  also had  11 children born,  ( but  10   alive when  John died) they lost  one of their  children.

That  could be the case, perhaps their marriage  is missing on  GRONI . I had not  actually   thought  of that.
It is  so very  much appreciated as ever your thoughts and  help.
Kind regards :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 13:02 BST (UK) »
Cell is absolutely correct. There's no such thing as correct spelling when it comes to Irish townlands and names. Even now there can be multiple variations. One road near us (name based on the townland it runs through) has, under the same council, two different spellings on the road signs at either end and a third variation in the middle. Said road is less than three miles long!

Regarding the 'missing' marriage and proof needed for death benefits- when my grandfather died in late 1930s my grandmother was entitled to a very, very small sum (it was not a work related death but at the time he was working for the town). I remember her saying she had to send in certified copies of not only his death certificate but their marriage certificate and birth certificates for all seven of their children (ranging from five to seventeen years) but after the money came through she didn't get the documents back.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!