Author Topic: Unregistered Births  (Read 202 times)

Offline OmahaBoy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unregistered Births
« on: Tuesday 07 May 24 16:47 BST (UK) »
Would the birth of a child born in 1853, probably Coatbridge, to an unmarried woman be registered? Other family members' births are in the records of the Dunbeth Relief Church. I don not see this birth. A calculated birth date for "Marion Graham," based on being 81 years, 8 months and 21 days at death, is 19 or 20 September 1853. Although throughout her life, her birth is reported as 1855, 1857, 1869, and others. She emigrated, probably 1854, to the US and lived in the household of David Tait and his wife, Marion Pollock. They married in 1858 in NY. In censuses from 1880 to 1930, she is mostly listed as "Niece," but later shown as a daughter, or sister after David and Marion died. She is variously recorded as Marion or Minnie Graham and later Marion G. Tait. On either side of this family, I can find no female marriage to a Graham that would result in a Graham niece. I believe she is Marion's biological daughter. Thanks!

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unregistered Births
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 17:11 BST (UK) »
Statutory Registration did not begin in Scotland until 1855 and became a legal requirement in 1875.

There were 3 church baptisms for that name, none in Lanarkshire. 

MARION GRAHAM 29/12/1853 STRATHBLANE
ALEXANDER GRAHAM/CATHARINE BROWNLEE

MARION GRAHAM 1/10/1854 COLINTON (OR HAILES)
ANDREW GRAHAM/MARGARET HASTIE

MARION GRAHAM 16/06/1854 GIGHA AND CARA
JOHN GRAHAM/MARION HENDERSON

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline OmahaBoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 20:28 BST (UK) »
Yes. Thank you very much. I have seen these but I don't think these are the Marion I'm looking for. I'm thinking the birth was not recorded.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 May 24 06:13 BST (UK) »
Would the birth of a child born in 1853, probably Coatbridge, to an unmarried woman be registered?
Possibly not.

There might be some mention in the minutes of the Kirk Session, if they have survived. I looked through the minutes of Old Monkland Kirk Session but did not find anything about your Marion Graham, but if she was a member of the Relief Church it probably wouldn't be in the parish kirk session records anyway.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.