Author Topic: Williams Ontario 1930s  (Read 102 times)

Offline supps

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Williams Ontario 1930s
« on: Tuesday 07 May 24 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to unravel my deceased Grandfather Robert Williams family history. He didn't talk much about it, but I know he was probably born in Ontario around September 1929. Father James Williams and mother Irene Ethel Bennett.

Irenes father Frederick Bennett served in WW1 in Canadian army. Looks like Irene and her mother Ellen Ethel Bennett came over from England after the war to live with him.

I can find some reference to them living at 43 Rogers Road, York, Ontario, Canada in 1935, but currently don't have access to the record so not sure if Irene and James were married at that point?

They then moved back to England around 1939 as Irene and James are living in London, with Irene now a Williams.

Not sure if there is a birth record for my Grandfather, I know he struggled in later life to get a passport. Also not sure if any marriage records for Irene Bennett and James Williams?

I think James Williams may have been a Radio presenter/broadcaster, and apparently was fairly well known with celebrity links. I know very little about him, apart from his 1939 Register suggest he was born in February 1902. Not sure if Canadian or British. I have tried to narrow down British James Williams of that timeframe with no luck.

Would appreciate any help with trying to find out more.

Many Thanks,

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Williams Ontario 1930s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 May 24 18:14 BST (UK) »
In the 1931 Census, I see Irene aged 21, with mother Ellen, aged 40, both born in England, living at 106 Alameda, which is in the same neighbourhood as Rodgers Road.   Ellen is noted as a widow, so seems Frederick is deceased by this time.  Indicates they arrived from England in 1920. If your grandfather Robert was born in 1929, he is not listed with the family at this time.

In the 1921 census, Ellen (Nellie) is aged 27, and Irene is 11 (so born when Ellen was 16?). Also in the household is a Fred Mallett, aged 27, born in New Brunswick, shown as a boarder.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 May 24 18:20 BST (UK) »
There is a death certificate for a Frederick Bennett,  soldier, aged 32 years, born England, son of Frank Bennett & Helen Hole, both born England, husband of Ellen Bennett, 588 Indian Grove, Toronto, died June 24, 1920, buried in Prospect Cemetery; cause Carcinoma of stomach.  If this indeed your Frederick, it's pretty sad that they are newly arrived in Canada when he dies.

The 1911 English Census has Frederic, Ellen Ethel, and Irene, ages 23, 20 and 1, all living in Wellington, Somerset, where Ellen and Irene were born.  You may have seen his Find-a-Grave entry:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/80544300/frederick-bennett?_gl=1*1bsjhvi*_gcl_au*MTQ2OTI5Nzk4OS4xNzEyOTQxNjYz*_ga*NTE1MzUyMzc3LjE3MDQ3NDIwMDE.*_ga_4QT8FMEX30*MjZhY2VhMDgtMDExMy00OGE4LTk4ZDItOTc5ODMzNTg3MzA0LjMwLjEuMTcxNTM2MTgxNC41OC4wLjA.*_ga_QPQNV9XG1B*MjZhY2VhMDgtMDExMy00OGE4LTk4ZDItOTc5ODMzNTg3MzA0LjcwNC4xLjE3MTUzNjE4MTQuMC4wLjA.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 May 24 18:30 BST (UK) »
I'm also not seeing your grandfather listed with them in the 1939 Register.  if he was born in Ontario, those records are not public and you'd have to request a search for a record altho' it's unclear where and when he was born.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 May 24 18:49 BST (UK) »
That 1935 record is from an electoral list, where Irene is still noted as Bennett, living with Ellen, along with James Williams, entertainer.  Doesn't look like they ever married, and if your grandfather was born around 1929, he would have been a Bennett.