Author Topic: Thomas Hunt of Leicester 1786 Loughborough 1856 woolsorter  (Read 347 times)

Offline josalt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Hunt of Leicester 1786 Loughborough 1856 woolsorter
« on: Wednesday 08 May 24 17:44 BST (UK) »
I am trying to sort out the correct parents and correct wives for Thomas Hunt my 3 x great grandfather who was definitely a WOOLSORTER who died in Regent Street Loughborough 1856. He definitely married Ann Gilbert 14 March 1819 Leicester & had Esther 1819 & James 1825 both in Loughborough. But was he previously married to Ann Moore 1 Oct 1810 St Nicholas Leicester and had Esther 1810, Ann 1815 & Thomas 1817 all in Leicester? In the 1851 census Loughborough Ann 1815 is Ann Howkins & is visitng with her daughter Sarah Ann Hawkins 1846, but having had an illigimate daughter Esther Ann 1836 who is brought up by her Hunt grandparents. But why 2 wives both called Ann? And why 2 daughters both called Esther? Esther 1810 and her brother Thomas 1819 seem to go to prison for larceny. OR ARE THERE 2 OR 3 DIFFERENT Hunt families mixed up here? I have dna matches to many descendants of Thomas Hunt 1786 and Ann Gilbert & a few dna matches to descendants of his sister Mary Hunt 1794 who marries James Clark loomhand. ALSO UNCERTAIN are the correct parents for Thomas Hunt - Esther Irish also gives dna matches but which thomas Hunt did she marry? Was it Thomas Hunt baptised 21 June 1760 parents Joseph and Mary? Was that Thomas Hunt buried 28 March 1830 age 70? He seemd to live in Thornton Lane, i.e vanished Leicester. Its possible his brother John also lived in Thornton Lane.  Esther is buried Q2 1842 the widow of Thomas Hunt dyer. But some people believe this Thomas is the son of Thomas and Alice born 1757 in Loughborough and removed to Glenfield age 3 weeks in July 1757. Thomas Hunt 1757 is apprenticed as a gardener in 1768 age 11 but seems to become a dyer after he has done 10 years apprenticeship. Or ARE THERE 2 DIFFERENT MEN ? Another alternative is that yet another Thomas Hunt also a WOOLSORTER is of the right age to be the parent of Thomas Hunt 1760, this man apprentices John Colman 29 September 1792 in Knighton, Leicestershire. Surely a woolsorter is a more likely occupation for a son to follow in his father's trade? I really need people with dna matches who also have a proper researched tree online so that we can sort out a lot of men woith the same name who are probably distant cousins of each other but are currently muddle sin a lot of trees on Ancestry. If people can see trees on Ancestry please look for Josephine Salt Tree APRIL 2021. I'm happy to make alternations or corrections but need dna matches that will prove we have the correct lines.
Hunt in Leicestershire.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Hunt of Leicester 1786 Loughborough 1856 woolsorter
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 May 24 20:33 BST (UK) »
I know you've got this but for the sake of clarity:

1819, 14 March: Thomas Hunt married Ann Gilbert at Leicester St Margaret, by banns. Witnesses Richard Stringer (who witnessed a lot of marriages so was probably the church warden or similar), and William Worth (made his mark). 

You say that Esther was born in Loughborough but I can't see a Loughborough baptism. There is a poss St Margaret baptism:
26 April 1919; Esther Hunt; parents Thomas and Anne, of York St; Thomas a woolsorter.

However, Esther Hunt of York St was buried age 1 at St Nicholas on 8 Oct 1820.

There were also baptisms at St Margaret for Sarah Hunt, same parents and details, Sept 1 1823 (buried 6 days later)
and John Hunt, same parents and details, bapt  7 Nov 1820 (buried 10 june 1821)

Esther was a less common name and the fact that the first child was given this name makes me wonder about this for Thomas's baptism:
14 Dec 1786, Leic St Nicholas, Thomas Hunt son of Thomas and Easter Hunt (they had several other children b between 1781 - 1797).

Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 May 24 20:46 BST (UK) »
But was he previously married to Ann Moore 1 Oct 1810 St Nicholas Leicester and had Esther 1810, Ann 1815 & Thomas 1817 all in Leicester?

I can't see a baptism for Esther 1810.

Ann bapt 17 April 1815, parents Thomas and Ann, woolstapler, York St

Thomas bapt 10 Nov 1817, same parents details, York St. (Thomas Hunt age 6, of York St, buried at St Nicolas in 1824).

Now this first wife Ann would need to have died not too long after that second birth for Thomas to have married Ann Gilbert in March 1819 and I can't see a death for Ann, wife of Thomas, York St. So how can you be certain that it was indeed your Thomas who married Ann Gilbert?

Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 May 24 21:04 BST (UK) »
This may add to confusion but I'm putting it here in the hope of actually avoiding further confusion:

There was another Esther Hunt bapt in 1819 but at St Nicholas, d of William and Sarah. Obviously this needs to be taken into consideration when looking at the burial of Esther in 1820 at St Nicholas, but the address for the burial matches the York St address for Thomas and Ann's family.

There was another Thomas and Ann Hunt baptising children in Loughborough in the 1820s, but this Thomas was a FWK.

There were other Thomas/Ann pairs baptising children at various churches in Leicester in the 18teens, but none of the other Thomases was a woolstapler.
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 May 24 21:10 BST (UK) »
ALSO UNCERTAIN are the correct parents for Thomas Hunt - Esther Irish also gives dna matches but which thomas Hunt did she marry?

See comments above re baptisms in Leicester to Thomas and Esther/Easter Hunt.

Poss marriage:
Thomas Hunt, of the parish of St Martin's, Leicester, m Esther Irish at Anstey on 20 Dec 1779; witnesses J Bishop and Robt Thorosby.

Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 May 24 22:15 BST (UK) »
It looks to me as though it's likely that your Thomas b 1786 was the son of Thomas And Esther (Irish). Esther was used as a family name in subsequent generations.

He married Ann Moore and I can't see any burial for her so unless you have convincing evidence of descent from Ann Gilbert, that second marriage may not have been him.

I can't see any 1810 baptism for Esther but there is one in 1819 so I think it unlikely that any 1810 Esther was his. His children Ann and James survived; others - Thomas, Esther (1819), Sarah and John were buried as children. I can't see anything from newspaper reports to link the felonious Esther and Thomas Hunt to this family.

If you've got proof of another Esther baptism, descent from Ann Gilbert etc, please let us have a look so we can see if it helps clarify this
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline josalt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 May 24 09:36 BST (UK) »
I know you've got this but for the sake of clarity:

1819, 14 March: Thomas Hunt married Ann Gilbert at Leicester St Margaret, by banns. Witnesses Richard Stringer (who witnessed a lot of marriages so was probably the church warden or similar), and William Worth (made his mark). 
I HAVE A DNA MATCH TO A GILBERT SO THESE ARE MY ANCESTORS.

You say that Esther was born in Loughborough
NO THE CENSUS GIVES PLACE OF BIRTH FOR THOMAS AND ANN AS LOUGHBOROUGH AND IS PROBABLY AN ERROR.
but I can't see a Loughborough baptism. There is a poss St Margaret baptism:
26 April 1919; Esther Hunt; parents Thomas and Anne, of York St; Thomas a woolsorter.
YES THIS IS MY FAMILY.

However, Esther Hunt of York St was buried age 1 at St Nicholas on 8 Oct 1820.
THIS IS NOT THE DAUGHTER OF THOMAS AND ANN. LOOK A TTH EPARISH OF STNICHOLAS. WHY WOULD A CHILD BE BAPTISED IN ONE CHURCH AND BURIED IN ANOTHER AND THEN LATER CHILDREN BAPTISED AND BURIED ALL AT ST MARGARETS. THERE IS ANOTHER ESTHER BORN IN 1819 DAUGHTER OF WILLIAM HUNT.

There were also baptisms at St Margaret for Sarah Hunt, same parents and details, Sept 1 1823 (buried 6 days later)
and John Hunt, same parents and details, bapt  7 Nov 1820 (buried 10 june 1821).
I DID NOT HAVE THESE AND THINK THEY ARE MY FAMILY THANK YOU. THEY FILL IN OBVIOUS GAPS IN CHILDBIRTH.

Esther was a less common name and the fact that the first child was given this name makes me wonder about this for Thomas's baptism:
14 Dec 1786, Leic St Nicholas, Thomas Hunt son of Thomas and Easter Hunt (they had several other children b between 1781 - 1797).
ESTHER, ESTER OR EASTER SEEMS A QUITE COMMON NAME IN THIS PERIOD IN LEICESTERSHIRE. I WAS SURPRISED BY HOW MANY I FOUND. I AM SURE THAT SOME OF THE THOMAS HUNT MARRIED TO ESTHER ARE NOT MARRIED TO ESTHER IRISH BUT TO DIFFERENT WOMEN.
Hunt in Leicestershire.

Offline josalt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 May 24 09:39 BST (UK) »
It looks to me as though it's likely that your Thomas b 1786 was the son of Thomas And Esther (Irish). Esther was used as a family name in subsequent generations.

He married Ann Moore and I can't see any burial for her so unless you have convincing evidence of descent from Ann Gilbert, that second marriage may not have been him.

I can't see any 1810 baptism for Esther
I HAVE ONE. BUT IT ONLY GIVE THE FATHER'S NAME OF THOMAS HUNT. IT MAKES SENSE THAT THE THOMAS HUNT WHO MARRIED ANN MOORE IN 1810 ARE THE PARENTS OF THIS ESTHER WHO GOES TO PRISON WITHA THOMAS HUNT - THEY SEEM TO BE SIBLINGS. YES I THINK THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT FAMILIS. BUT HOW? IT NEEDS PROOF.

but there is one in 1819 so I think it unlikely that any 1810 Esther was his. His children Ann and James survived; others - Thomas, Esther (1819), Sarah and John were buried as children. I can't see anything from newspaper reports to link the felonious Esther and Thomas Hunt to this family.

If you've got proof of another Esther baptism, descent from Ann Gilbert etc, please let us have a look so we can see if it helps clarify this
Hunt in Leicestershire.

Offline josalt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 May 24 09:44 BST (UK) »
ALSO UNCERTAIN are the correct parents for Thomas Hunt - Esther Irish also gives dna matches but which thomas Hunt did she marry?

See comments above re baptisms in Leicester to Thomas and Esther/Easter Hunt.

Poss marriage:
Thomas Hunt, of the parish of St Martin's, Leicester, m Esther Irish at Anstey on 20 Dec 1779; witnesses J Bishop and Robt Thorosby.
YES - I HAVE THIS MARRIAGE DOCUMENTED - AN ESTHER IRISH MARRIED A THOMAS HUNT BUT WHICH THOMAS HUNT DID SHE MARRY? WHAT WAS HIS OCCUPATION? WHAT WAS HIS PLACE OF BIRTH / BAPTISM AROUND 1760ISH ? MY QUESTION WAS WHO ARE THE FATHER AND MOTHER OF THOMAS HUNT BORN LEICESTER IN 1786 AND DIED IN LOUGHBORUGH 1856?
Hunt in Leicestershire.