Author Topic: Where in Geashill?  (Read 243 times)

Offline Simon1a9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching Rosam, Hanna, Tovey & Weston Green
    • View Profile
Where in Geashill?
« on: Wednesday 08 May 24 20:06 BST (UK) »
Edward Nesbitt married Rosamond Esther Somer in St Mary's Church, Geashill, Kings County (Offaly) Ireland. He was a bailiff from Geashill. She was living where?  It looks like Geashill Cellar to me but that doesn't sound right.

https://www.townlands.ie/offaly/geashill/geashill/geashill/geashill/

Thanks for your thoughts.
Rosam, Hanna, Tovey

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
Re: Where in Geashill?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 May 24 20:20 BST (UK) »

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 May 24 06:13 BST (UK) »
I agree, Gleashill Castle.  :)

Offline Simon1a9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 May 24 06:22 BST (UK) »
This makes sense. I was confused by the lack of crossed to, but can nowadays see the same in "Nesbitt". Thanks both
Rosam, Hanna, Tovey

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 May 24 08:41 BST (UK) »
Several newspaper mentions of "Edward Nesbitt, bailiff" acting on behalf of his employer "Lord Digby". Digby was of "Geashill Castle" or "the Geashill estate".

Leinster Reporter, 17 Nov 1917

Offline Simon1a9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 May 24 18:45 BST (UK) »
Yes. Presumably Edward would have had regular business at the Geashill Castle house, in his role as bailiff, and met Rosamond there. I assume she was working at the house but quite why she came to leave Kent for Ireland is unclear.
Several newspaper mentions of "Edward Nesbitt, bailiff" acting on behalf of his employer "Lord Digby". Digby was of "Geashill Castle" or "the Geashill estate".

Leinster Reporter, 17 Nov 1917
Rosam, Hanna, Tovey

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 May 24 21:02 BST (UK) »
Yes. Presumably Edward would have had regular business at the Geashill Castle house, in his role as bailiff, and met Rosamond there. I assume she was working at the house but quite why she came to leave Kent for Ireland is unclear.

If I am looking at the correct family, some of her siblings were born in Ireland, presumably due to her father's occupation (RN - Coast Guard).  This might explain the back and forth of her movements between England and Ireland?

Offline Simon1a9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 May 24 21:35 BST (UK) »

If I am looking at the correct family, some of her siblings were born in Ireland, presumably due to her father's occupation (RN - Coast Guard).  This might explain the back and forth of her movements between England and Ireland?

Thanks. You're looking at the right family, and Rosamund's father was a Coast Guard in Donegal when she was between one and seven years old, but I haven't yet seen anything to imply a return to Ireland until Rosamond is in Geashill Castle in 1895 (although she's missing from the 1891 census in England, so may have been in Ireland then)
Rosam, Hanna, Tovey