Author Topic: Help find Eugene Moran (??in CountyRoscommon??) born c.1847 son of Eugene Moran  (Read 114 times)

Offline Peter Moran

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am searching for information about my Irish ancestor, Eugene Moran. I would really appreciate any data you provide regarding this family. Eugene Moran was born March 1—probably in 1847—Black’47 being the death-peak of the five-year potato famine, aka The Starvation. This much is certain: Eugene’s father was a carpenter, and also named Eugene Moran. I have found an Irish baptism record indicating a Eugene Moran was baptized June 29, 1847, son of Eugene Moran and Mary Gara—probably in Mullaghnashee townland, Fairymount Catholic parish, Frenchpark barony, County Roscommon, Connacht province. A majority of all Irish families were then poor farmers, living on leased land, and not able to move off their plot during The Starvation. However, because Eugene Moran the father was a carpenter, able to relocate and find work, this would fit the certain fact that this Eugene Moran family was living in County Tipperary after 1847, while Eugene the son was a young boy. In 1866, Eugene Moran the son was a 19-year-old baker, living as a boarder in 48 Gardiner Street in north-Belfast, when he married Ann Gribben on December 1, 1866, in Saint Patrick’s catholic church on Donegall Street, Belfast. On June 4, 1869, Eugene Moran the son, the baker, and his wife Ann, departed Londonderry (current Derry) and sailed to Canada. They were accompanied on the ship by Eugene the father—the father’s age on the ship passenger list indicates he was born c.1813 (probably in County Roscommon). Eugene the father had pre-paid his return voyage to Ireland. Eugene the son and his wife Ann lived their remaining years in Canada. Thanks to you all in advance, Peter Moran.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Strangely, there is a second, previous marriage record for the same couple on RootsIreland, in
HANNAHSTOWN ROCK & DERRIAGHY church, in 1865.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
In Ireland, the names Owen and Eugene were interchangeable. An Owen Moran had several children in the parish of St. Patrick's, Belfast, in the 1840s.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
OP - Do you have any family tradition to support the narrative that the family moved around so dramatically - from Roscommon to Tipperary to Antrim?  Personally, I think that sequence is very highly unlikely.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I'm also struggling to believe that the family moved around so much even if their occupations weren't tied to a settled place like a farmer or landowner would be.
According to the 1866 civil marriage record the groom was age 20 so born c1846 although dates can be inaccurate. Where did you get the information that he was a boarder in Belfast?
Another bit of the initial post I find strange is that the father went to Canada with his son but intending to return to Ireland. I don't see a likely death for the father in Ireland but when is the last record you found of the father?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
There's a lovely tree on Family Search that has Eugene Moran's parents as Eugene Moran (born 1819) and Mary Jane Moran (born 1902 in Ohio, living in Long Island in 1940)! Eugene's birthdate shown as 1 Mar.1849 which would make him quite young to be marrying in 1866.
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/L2WX-Z3F
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!