Author Topic: Wharton coat of arms meaning .  (Read 148 times)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Wharton coat of arms meaning .
« on: Wednesday 08 May 24 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi , could sks help my brother .. a proud Wharton … who has recently had this tattoo on his arm . He would like to find out the correct meanings of the Wharton symbols and history involved so he can repeat it knowledgeably . Thanks for any help . Fred .
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Wharton coat of arms meaning .
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 May 24 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hello,
It is a maunche - a stylized sleeve of a coat. If turned upright, it looks like a letter "M". For the most part the symbols have no meaning whatsoever - sorry. 

But, heralds were and still are quite prone to include a 'cant', that is an heraldic pun. Without knowing if I saw these arms, I would assume that the surname started with the letter M.   

I will look up Wharton and these arms and get back to you tomorrow, it is now 23:55. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wharton coat of arms meaning .
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 May 24 11:14 BST (UK) »
The motto is "Generosus nascitur non fit", meaning a gentleman is born one, he doesn't become one.