Author Topic: Maritime Canadian Records 1816  (Read 144 times)

Offline AmandaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Maritime Canadian Records 1816
« on: Thursday 09 May 24 06:26 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I’m an Australian trying to find more information on a mariner. His name was James Ruse and he was captain on the Sterling making voyages back and forth from London to Quebec in 1815 & 1816. The Sterling was wrecked in the St Lawrence River in either November or December 1816. I have obtained my information from Lloyds Lists and Register (UK) and the Ships List. Are there any records I can search from the Quebec side of things. 1. For more information on the voyages in and out, details on the captain etc, and 2. More information on the wreck itself, outcome etc?

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Maritime Canadian Records 1816
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 May 24 13:58 BST (UK) »
There are newspaper accounts of the shipwreck in the Montreal Gazette with issues available on Newsapers.com

Quebec, December 5, 1816 -- We are extremely sorry to learn that the Sterling is a complete wreck, vessel and cargo.

December 2, 1816 -- The ship Sterling, Capt. Ruse, which lately sailed, was unfortunately wrecked on Seal Reef on the 18th instant (ie, November). The crew were saved and the captain has arrived in town.

The website has early Montreal Gazettes dating back to 1785 available online.  Lots of other early newspapers also available from Britain etc which may allow you to build a picture of the ship's voyages and Captain Ruse.  I am unaware of any early shipping records available beyond what you've already found.

Offline AmandaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 May 24 16:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 May 24 17:57 BST (UK) »
Looks like Capt Ruse was still around in 1818.

Public Ledger and Daily Advertiser
18 July 1818

There's also a Captain Ruse of the brig Albion, mentioned in 1818 reports from Curacoa.
Is he the same Capt Ruse of the Sterling? Or perhaps a relative?
By 1820, there's a Ruse connected to the Daniel.