Author Topic: Who was Kate Harper / who were the Harpers of Tranmere?  (Read 253 times)

Offline Trevellian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Kate Harper / who were the Harpers of Tranmere?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 May 24 20:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your replies. I have always found the named witnesses interesting on marriage certificates but I've never really known how to "use" them if they're not names I obviously know or are clearly part of the family. In this case as they have different surnames I have no idea if they are extended family or just people they knew...  :-\

Thank you for finding William on the 1921 census! And so close but so far with the Toxteth Park family!

I will make a note of that address, you never know...
The Sloggetts of St. Teath/St. Minver; Sloggetts of Australia; Sloggetts of America; Winns of Mabe/Helston; Winns of America; Rowes of St. Blazey/Par; Angoves of Illogan; Tregarthens of the Scilly Isles; Billings of St. Breward; Martins of St. Gluvias; Haydons of Dartmouth; Brownsons of Stoke Fleming; Boyens of Poplar/West Ham/Surrey; Boyens of New Zealand; Boyens of Australia; Emblens of Hampshire/Sussex/London; Wrights of London; Greens of Preston; Hemphills and McKerrachers of Scotland.

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 May 24 21:42 BST (UK) »
1871 census Widnes Samuel Harper Chemical Labourer age 37 born Liverpool, and his family including a daughter Catharine age 8 born Birkenhead. A few things don't tally but probably worth looking at the family in 1881.
Ray

Online Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 May 24 23:43 BST (UK) »
their marriage certificate, which states Kate's father was a Samuel Harper, bricklayer.

Actually, his occupation is bricksetter (as per the marriage record).
Bricksetter: employed in a brick works, loading/stacking bricks in the kilns prior to firing.

Just wanted to mention it, in case it helps with the pre-1890 search for Kate and her family.

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 May 24 09:10 BST (UK) »
1871 census Widnes Samuel Harper Chemical Labourer age 37 born Liverpool, and his family including a daughter Catharine age 8 born Birkenhead. A few things don't tally but probably worth looking at the family in 1881.
Ray

Did not want to dismiss this post, further info.

Samuel Harper married Elizabeth Devereaux jq 1855 Runcorn.

HARPER, JAMES       DEVEREUX 
GRO Reference: 1857  M Quarter in PRESCOT  Volume 08B  Page 454

HARPER, WILLIAM       DEVEREUX 
GRO Reference: 1858  J Quarter in PRESCOT  Volume 08B  Page 445

Cannot find ANY of the other children on GRO births apart from above 2

1861 census ref 2743 12 22

1871 census ref 3858 24 40

Jq 1873 Samuel Harper dies aged 39 Prescott

JQ 1877 Elizabeth Harper remarries Joseph Dillon in Prescott

1881 census ref 3725 50 35---Catherine still with family.

SS

added: by 1891 census ref 3012 98 13 Elizabeth Dillon/Harper/Devereaux c 1836 is a widow again and surname record as Harper, with daughter Elizabeth and a Dillon child

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 May 24 09:45 BST (UK) »
Info only, If Kate is the Catherine Harper daughter of Samuel & Elizabeth Devereaux she had 2 sisters.

Jane Harper married Michael Dugan dq 1880 Prescot
Elizabeth Harper married Thomas Dunn mq 1890 Prescot

Wonder who they recorded as their father and his occupation.

SS

Offline Trevellian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 May 24 09:48 BST (UK) »
I have just had a thorough search and also cannot find any births beyond James and William Harper in Prescot. The sisters you have found sound more promising though! I will see what I can dig up about them, thank you for your research  :)
The Sloggetts of St. Teath/St. Minver; Sloggetts of Australia; Sloggetts of America; Winns of Mabe/Helston; Winns of America; Rowes of St. Blazey/Par; Angoves of Illogan; Tregarthens of the Scilly Isles; Billings of St. Breward; Martins of St. Gluvias; Haydons of Dartmouth; Brownsons of Stoke Fleming; Boyens of Poplar/West Ham/Surrey; Boyens of New Zealand; Boyens of Australia; Emblens of Hampshire/Sussex/London; Wrights of London; Greens of Preston; Hemphills and McKerrachers of Scotland.

Offline Trevellian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 10 May 24 10:03 BST (UK) »
Some more findings:

There is a Catherine Harper who died Q'3 1938 in Stockport, age 74, born about 1864. Obviously can't be Kate Green as she would have been by the time of her death but could be the Catherine from the family currently in discussion.

The brother William Harper possibly marries a Bridget Egan 30 March 1891 in Liverpool, age 24 (obviously a bit out for our William b. 1858) father stated Samuel Harper, Labourer.

Online jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 10 May 24 12:06 BST (UK) »
This may or may not be relevant but I thought I would share.  There is a newspaper memorium in the Liverpool Echo on the 27th March 1895, this is what it says:

'Green:  In ever loving memory of my dear mother Catherine Green of Tranmere who entered into rest March 26th 1894.  And still I miss her much loved face. None have I found to fill her place.' M. E. W

I have crossed referenced this date of death to one on ancestry for Catherine Green, born 1866, died 1894 in Prescot, Lancashire aged 28.

However there is another death of a Catherine Green in the same year but she was born in 1820 so the memorium notice might be for her.

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 May 24 12:57 BST (UK) »
1901 census info only

Piece   3514
Folio   142
Page number   48
Household schedule number   214
Household members
Name   Age
Thomas Dunn   33
Elizabeth Dunn   32
Mary Dunn   9
Katie Dunn   7