Author Topic: 1820 family gravestone  (Read 187 times)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1820 family gravestone
« on: Friday 10 May 24 23:14 BST (UK) »
Greetings

I was hoping to clean up this photo of a family grave in Berwickshire. Thanks in advance for any help.

I can read some of the words but not many. Here is what the transcription is listed as:

Transcription

ROBERT MIDDLEMIST who died 23rd December 1796 aged 40 years. White wright at Sinclairshill 2 of his children d. in inf. dau. MARGET their daughter July 1810 aged 18 years. ELSPETH TAIT his wife at Parth 1820 aged 67 yrs.

Besides making the picture legible , I was also wondering if anyone could speak to the "white wright" part... is that  mistranslated?

Here's the graveyard website it came from:
https://www.coldstreamhistorysociety.co.uk/projects/transcriptions/simprim-kirkyard/simprim-middlemist-tait/

Here is a link to the picture. I had troubles attaching it as it said it was too large of a file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q0wIhkQJPmr6QL6t9xvNcd9aOa21bTI1/view?usp=sharing

Thanks.

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Online japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1820 family gravestone
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 May 24 17:19 BST (UK) »
Too difficult for me, sorry

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 May 24 18:35 BST (UK) »
Can't help with the photo but could 'white wright' be another way of saying white smith - someone who works with tin or other light-coloured metals
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 May 24 20:30 BST (UK) »
Wright tends to indicate someone working with wood - wright, squarewright, wheelwright, shipwright etc. Smith tends to indicate someone working in metal. Below is a link to the DSL which gives white-smith and white-wright, but is not certain of the meaning of white-wright, making the tentative suggestion of carpenter.

https://dsl.ac.uk/entry/snd/white_adj_n1_v1

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 May 24 23:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the comments and help.

Sinclair's Hill is a tiny hamlet and this Robert middlemist's sons and grandsons were all joiners. I figured wright might be cartwright but I wasn't sure and so thought i'd ask.

Cheers
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.