Author Topic: GEORGE BOLWELL DAVIDGE, Actor-Manager, 1793 - 1842  (Read 271 times)

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: GEORGE BOLWELL DAVIDGE, Actor-Manager, 1793 - 1842
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 May 24 16:04 BST (UK) »
Looking at the Henry Tripp (of Michigan but formerly of Bristol) who's the only person in the will explicitly linked to Bristol, as far as I can see. He seems to be the carpenter Henry Tripp who became a burgess in 1812 as the son of a mariner Henry Tripp. Probably the father was the Henry Tripp who married Hannah Bolwell at St Peter's, Bristol in 1780.

Then in 1791, a Richard Davidge married Hannah Tripp. The record doesn't say widow or not, so there's at least a chance that's George's parents.

David

PS I hadn't noticed that you already had the father as possibly Richard, that makes it more likely this theory is correct.

Offline MaidinEngland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 May 24 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone!

Thank you all so much for your help.  I have now obtained a copy of GBD's will from National Archives,  free of charge!  Unfortunately I am having trouble reading it so have picked out a few names to look at in more detail.  I didn't decipher the Aunt but have found the word "cousin" so now I have some new possible family members to work with as well as Tripp, Perryman and Stone links.

I was expecting George's mother to be a Bolwell so discarded the Richard Davidge/Hannah Tripp marriage previously.  The couple now look to be strong contenders for the parents so I can look for siblings.

As well as all this great research, lots of newspaper information and theatre archives to explore.  I am indebted to you all and full of hope that a very large and troublesome brick wall may come tumbling down very soon.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 May 24 09:46 BST (UK) »
The Hannah/Anna Tripp whose husband was a mariner was definitely a widow by 1789. She was receiving support from the Seaman's Hospital Fund, her husband "Chief mate on Alert drowned on way to Anamoboe". See https://archives.bristol.gov.uk/records/SMV/9/3/3/8/349 .

Not proof, but at least it shows she was available to marry in 1791.

David

Offline MaidinEngland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 May 24 03:37 BST (UK) »
Hi David

What a great find!  The information just keeps coming.

I've applied for a copy of Hannah's petition for financial support.  As a big bonus, I have found a witness statement from a ship official stating that she was widowed with one child age 5.  Also a copy of the ship's muster roll.

Tks again for your help