Author Topic: Names and places in 1650's Scottish Testament Dative  (Read 264 times)

Online khalliday181

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Names and places in 1650's Scottish Testament Dative
« on: Saturday 11 May 24 09:37 BST (UK) »
So after 8 years away from family history i've jumped back into the 1600's and have lost the ability to read! It takes a while to get your eye in! Any help with any names, relationship to the deceased John Halliday or place names would be great.
Halliday
Matthews
Holmes
Kettle
Miles
Pither

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Names and places in 1650's will
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 May 24 16:09 BST (UK) »
I suggest that you change the post title to replace the word "will" with "Scottish Testament Dative"; so as to attract the right eyes.

Everything below is not to be trusted:

1.  The place of John Halliday's residence may be given at the end of line 4.

2.  The inventory may be faithfully made and given up by Thomas Halliday.

3.  Something may be done in name & behalf of Wm and Margaret Hallidayes bairnes, but certainly don't trust me on it.

Online khalliday181

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Names and places in 1650's Scottish Testament Dative
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 May 24 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi horselydown86

Thanks for you suggestions. I can see where you have come to those conclusions.

I've changed the title as suggested.

:)
Halliday
Matthews
Holmes
Kettle
Miles
Pither

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 May 24 22:05 BST (UK) »
In margin:

vmq[uhi]ll (= the late) Jon halliday
27 Ja[nua]rij 1658

The testament dative & In[venta]r of the goods                                                     
geir sowmes of money & debts q[uhi]lk (= which) justly                                                     
pertanit (= pertained) & were adebtit & restand awand (= addebted & resting                             
                                                                       owing, i.e. still owing)               
to umq[uhi]ll John halliday in [a placename]                                               
the tyme of his deceis wha (= who) deceist in the                                                 
moneth (= month) of December Jaj vj c & fyftie seven (= 1657)                                             
zeirs (= years) ffaithfully made & gevin vp (= given up) be (= by) Thomas                         
halliday for himselff & as haveing best know-                                                     
ledge In name & behalf of w[illia]m and                                                                           
margaret hallidayes bairnes lau[fu]ll & only                                                                 
exe[cuto]rs datives decernit (= decreed/appointed) as neirest of kine to                                   
the s[ai]d defunct Be (= by) decreit of the com[mi]ssar                                                 
prin[cipa]ll of the com[mi]ssa[r]iott of Dumfreis                                                                     
vpon the [ filler] day of [filler] Jaj vj c & fyftie [filler] (= 165[ ])                                             
zeirs as the samen (= the same) beares
Imprimis (= Firstly) the s[ai]d defunct had Justly p[er]teining & belonging                                   
to him the tyme of his deceis foirs[ai]d (= foresaid) four hoges (= a hog is a sheep that has been
                                              weaned, but not yet shorn for the first time) thrie yewis (= ewes)                               
in craigley estimate (= estimated) to ten merks Item twa (= two) hoges                               
worth ffourtie shilling Item m[ai]r (= more/further) sex (= six) pecks small                           
corne (= oats) worth ffourtie shilling Item m[ai]r of money                                                                   
ten punds (= pounds) Item m[ai]r the Insight (= furnishings) of the hous
estimat to ffourtie shilling                                                         

Sum[m]a (= Latin for sum/total) In[venta]r is
   No debts awand (= owing) to the dead (= the deaceased)
   Noe debts awand be (= by) the dead
   To be divydit in          [pairts]

The [fillers] are just squiggles and mean nothing. It is not unusual to see this or blanks left with dates.

The money is in the £ Scots, which was worth a twelfth of the £ Sterling. A merk was 13/4d.

The name of the place John Halliday was in is not 100% clear, but it may appear elsewhere in the document and be clearer there.

Online khalliday181

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 May 24 21:04 BST (UK) »
Wow, GR2 many thanks. So glad you are still around. I'm certain you were a big help 8 or 9 years ago when I was last working away at the family research!

Thank you so much for your time. I didn't want to put anything in my opening post because it can sway opinion but according to Scotland's People the testament dative is for John Halliday in Culmen. Culmen was presumably in Dumfries because the testament was recorded at the Dumfries Commissary Court.

If I can even more amazing it would be good to finish this off. Can you help with the rest of it?

Huge thanks
Halliday
Matthews
Holmes
Kettle
Miles
Pither

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 May 24 23:58 BST (UK) »
Culmen would make sense.

The final section:

Deads Pairt is -

William [      ] of Drumgarland Com[m]issar prin[cipa]ll of the
Com[m]issariott of du[m]fries vnderstanding [filler] I decerne
y[ai]rintill (= thereintill = in that matter) and gives & co[m]itts [filler] Reservand (=
                                                                            reserving/excepting) [          ]
[filler] and being sworne & made faith [filler] Q[uhai]rupoune (= whereupon}
[....................... blank .......................] Became cau[tione]r
as ane (= an) act made y[ai]ranent (= thereanent = on that matter) beares

This is very sketchily written, probably because the estate left was so small. They have not even given a total for the inventory (it amounts to £22 13/4d). There are several meaningless fillers, the executors are not named again where it refers to them being sworn and undertaking to carry out their duties faithfully. The name of the cautioner has also been omitted.

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 May 24 14:59 BST (UK) »
Culmen appears to be Culmain in the Parish of Urr, Kirkcudbrightshire. In an early map it is referred to simply as Coulmeinn but in later maps as variations on Meikle Culmain and Little Culmain. As such it turns up in the tax rolls (oddly enough there's a John Halliday mentioned on the previous page of one roll at Miefield (Myefield) in the Parish of Twynhame (Twynholm)).

https://maps.nls.uk/view/74400267
In this map you can find Culmain by looking at the top of the map for the fold, to the right of the fold there is Milton Loch and not far below that a road cuts through the name Mickle Culmain. Following the names below and to the right you get Cowdenknowe, Burnside, Barbey and then Lit Culmain.

S_L

Online khalliday181

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 May 24 10:19 BST (UK) »
@GR2 - Many many thanks. I was looking through some of my old posts and you helped me back in 2012. Glad you are still here!!

@still_looking - thanks for the info. When I first looked into this about 8 years ago I found Meikle Culmain and made the assumption it must be the same place. It's always nice to have someone else confirm. Thanks for your help!
Halliday
Matthews
Holmes
Kettle
Miles
Pither

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 May 24 11:06 BST (UK) »
Glad you are still here!!

I haven't been assassinated, struck by an asteroid or trampled by a marauding herd of wildebeest this week - so far  ;D