Author Topic: Question about a Ships Manifest  (Read 123 times)

Offline Leon47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Question about a Ships Manifest
« on: Saturday 11 May 24 12:30 BST (UK) »
I've managed to find two documents - actually I think they are two pages from the same book, listing passengers who travelled from Liverpool to New York in 1929.

One is headed LIST OR MANIFEST OF ALIEN PASSENGERS FOR THE UNITED and the second one is headed STATES IMMIGRATION OFFICER AT PORT OF ARRIVAL.

My question concerns the entries for a husband and wife. The wife is Irish and the Husband is an American citizen.

The thing is, there is a typed 'dash' line all along the husbands name and details on both pages.

Does anyone know what significance the dashed line has? Did he, perhaps, not sail as intended?

I attach a small section of the second page of the manifest. The wife's entry is just below.

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Question about a Ships Manifest
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 May 24 13:13 BST (UK) »
Removed from list as not an Alien?
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline Leon47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 May 24 13:59 BST (UK) »
Yes, I guess that could be it. They were married just 10 days before, in Belfast, so him not travelling would be a bit odd.

So this sort of information - about aliens, which I found using Ancestry, is all you can get? No straight passenger lists?

Thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 May 24 15:01 BST (UK) »
"On September 22, 1922, Congress enacted a law (42 Stat. 1021) that changed the naturalization procedure for married women. Before that date, women who were married to a U.S. citizen or naturalized citizen automatically became U.S. citizens by reason of the marriage. The new law required that any woman married after the date of enactment who desired to become a citizen must meet the requirements of the naturalization laws. No declaration of intention was needed, however, and the period of required residence was reduced from 5 years to 1 year."
https://socialwelfare.library.vcu.edu/federal/naturalization-process-in-u-s-early-history/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Leon47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 May 24 15:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Very interesting.

I've now looked at the Manifests that I've found for the Wife traveling from Belfast/Eire/Liverpool to NY in years 1929 (the one already mentioned), 1934, 1935 and 1946. None of them indicate that she had become an American citizen, despite living there permanently from 1929 until her death in the 1980s.

Of course she may have taken American citizenship after 1946 and so would not show up as an Alien in searches for Manifests.

I've found one instance where a son of hers was traveling with her and he is clearly marked as an American citizen but his name is still there on the list (and not crossed out).