Author Topic: British Army Medical Records - WW2  (Read 175 times)

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
British Army Medical Records - WW2
« on: Saturday 11 May 24 15:57 BST (UK) »

Firstly I would like to apologise if I am posting my query in the wrong section.

Having received a copy of my fathers army records (he served during the 2nd world war) it is noted that he was admitted to Barnsley Hall Emergency Hospital (due to injuries received) on 17th June 1945 and discharged 7th July 1945.

After a little research I contacted Worcester County Council Archives and advised this fact and enquired as to whether they held the said patient records. They replied that they did, but I would need to get authority from Herefordshire & Worcestershire NHS Care Trust due to the 100 year ruling for closed records. They also advised that once I had the said authority I would need to forward this to them plus I would need to pay a search fee of £50.

Having been granted authority from H&C NHS Trust this was forwarded to WCC Archives along with my fee.

I have now been advised by the Archives that despite searching their records they cannot find any trace of my father being admitted there and receiving any treatment as a patient.

In fact - they have also added they they DO NOT actually hold the records for Barnsley Hall Emergency Hospital.

Would anyone know who would hold the records I am looking for and if they are available to be released to me.

Fay
Family name Preston (of Birmingham)
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: British Army Medical Records - WW2
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 May 24 20:19 BST (UK) »
I periodically look at GOV.UK to check that the advice I give on obtaining service records is current.

Looks like a policy change on 22nd April 2024 now considers releasing medical records on request.

Medical records for deceased service personnel

"How to apply
To request medical records for a deceased service person, please email CIO-FOI@mod.gov.uk.

What to include in your request
Please ensure you include the following details (if known):

full name of the service person
service number
date of birth
date of death
service they served for, e.g. Army, Navy or Royal Air Force (RAF)
copy of death certificate or other legal declaration of death
any other information you think would be relevant to your request
In the absence of a death certificate or other legal declaration of death, the MOD adopts a policy of assuming that a person is alive until the age of 116. You do not need a copy of the death certificate if the person died in service or was born more than 116 years ago.

The MOD will not disclose any information where release could prejudice the capability, effectiveness or security of its forces. In the very rare case that release of information from a service record might be prejudicial or cannot be released for other reasons, the applicant will be advised of the relevant FOIA statutory exemption that applies to its non-disclosure.

Published 22 April 2024"

This is a very new service and seems to need a direct application.

Ross
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 May 24 20:32 BST (UK) »
Ross

Thank you so much for that information.

Will certainly follow it up.

Fay
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 June 24 14:28 BST (UK) »

Just a quick update on my original post

I sent an e mail to the appropriate address as per Ross's information (on the 12th May) together with relevant documentation.

I did initially expect an automated response,  but have heard nothing.

I have sent my request again but still no response.

Fay