Author Topic: Dentistry - professional requirements in 1897  (Read 478 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dentistry - professional requirements in 1897
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 May 24 07:41 BST (UK) »
My gt gt grandfather  was a dentist  way back in 1850  ish, often wondered about dentists in those days, never been one of the best experiences for me in in modern times  but goodness know what the procedure was way back then.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 May 24 09:40 BST (UK) »
Perhaps Dr. San(d)ford had two offices, but I haven’t found any reference (using Anc*try) to a practice in Alameda County, just references to San Francisco.

Perhaps dentists at the time didn’t use a title, but in the 1899 divorce (very brief) article, he is simply James A. Logan, not Dr. Logan.

I wonder if it was just a coincidence that the shared Berkeley dental practice was just a few blocks from the university - or perhaps one of the men did briefly attend the university?
https://www.collectableivy.com/collectible-ivy-blog/an-illustrated-history-of-the-university-of-california-berkeley-1895/
Includes a photo of several dental students, taken in 1895.
Note: I don’t know if the site is a safe site; use with caution.  ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 May 24 17:08 BST (UK) »
The identity of Dr. Sanford remains a mystery to me.  James Logan's mother was Mary R. Sanford [born 1845 in Wisconsin].  So, my initial theory was that Dr. Sanford must be some kind of relative - an uncle? or a cousin?  I haven't had time to pursue this theory thoroughly yet, but, so far, I haven't found a connection.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 May 24 17:22 BST (UK) »
I can have a look around if you like?  I believe Dr. Sanford’s parents were born in Canada, or at least his father, Benjamin, was - his mother was supposedly either born in England or Canada.  If you would prefer to investigate (and confirm that his father was Benjamin), I understand wanting to uncover details on your own.   :)

Added: Maine was also recorded as Dr. Sanford’s father’s birthplace.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 May 24 18:23 BST (UK) »
There is a Logan/Sanford tree here:

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/landscape/LHF8-1XD

I am not the source, so I don't vouch for all the details, but the basics are correct.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Unless the newspaper account is wrong about James's dental partnership, I think you are right that his colleague was Louis Napoleon San(d)ford.  How many dentists could there have been in California at that time with that surname and initials?  I don't see how that man can be connected to the Wisconsin Sanfords, though, at least not closely connected.  So, it may just be a coincidence that James's mother and his partner were both named Sanford.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 May 24 23:15 BST (UK) »
I wish I had a picture of James, but no such luck.  My grandmother said that cousin James was her first love.  She was starstruck by him and was mortified when she one day overheard him making fun of her for trying to act grown up and sophisticated.  I wonder what she thought of him later in life; she must have learned at least a bit about his rather unsavory behavior.

I do have a newspaper photo of Erwin, George, Howard and Jack (Erwin's son).  They look like what they were - businessmen.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 May 24 06:59 BST (UK) »
…Unless the newspaper account is wrong about James's dental partnership, I think you are right that his colleague was Louis Napoleon San(d)ford.  How many dentists could there have been in California at that time with that surname and initials?  I don't see how that man can be connected to the Wisconsin Sanfords, though, at least not closely connected.  So, it may just be a coincidence that James's mother and his partner were both named Sanford.

At this time, it looks like Benjamin was not his father.  I am backtracking to find out why I believed it possible.  Also, possibly, his name may have actually been Sandford.

I’ve not found an obituary for Louis.  Perhaps if there was one, it might help.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 May 24 08:06 BST (UK) »
Summing up:

1909: Louis N Sandford, died 7 October 1909, San Francisco, CA.  Age 55 (born c1854) [Death Index]
          Dr. L. N. Sandford, born San Francisco, Married, age 55, died 7 Oct 1909 [FuneralHome]
1900: Louis N Sandford, born Dec 1853, California, Single, Dentist, father born Maine; mother Canada English [Census]
1885: Dr. L. N. Sandford, age 31 (born c1854), Dentist [Occ Licenses]
1882: Louis Napolean Sandford, named in will - by grandmother Eliza Hannath(?), 23 July 1882
1880: Louis N. Sanford, Dentist John P. Trumpour, r. 402 1/2 Hayes [City Directory]
1877: Louis Napolean Sanford, age 23 (born c1854), born California, Druggist, residence:Hollister [Voter Reg]
1875: Louis Napoleon Sandford, bookkeeper, res 1212 Turk (St), age 21 (born c1854) [Voter Reg]
         Lewis Sanford, dwl 1212 Turk [City Directory]

I’ve not yet found Louis in 1880, 1870 or 1860 census returns which is a bit odd.  I cannot find the connection to Benjamin.  I’m leaning toward there not being any connection to your Sanfords.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 May 24 07:50 BST (UK) »
The following isn’t helpful for your quest, but I don’t like to give up when I think answers are out there (it bothered me that Louis’ census returns couldn’t be found).  ;)

Possibly Louis’ father was Josiah/Joseph Sandford.  The following may be about one family…

1860: Josiah H? Sandford, age 38, born Maine.
          Louisa, female, age 6, born California.  1860 Santa Rosa, CA census
          Was an error made and Louisa was actually Louis, a male?
1870:  Louis Sandford, age 16, born California, Farmhand (living with Gale family)
          Josiah Sandford, age 48, born M?, Engineer.  (Living with Edwards family.)
           Both census returns: 1860 Petaluma Census.
1872:  Josiah Sandford died. Buried in Petaluma.
1882:  Eliza Hannath’s will mentioned Santa Rosa a couple of times.
One Ancestry tree stated Josiah married Elizabeth Guss, 1/1/1853, California.  Gass is mentioned in Hannath’s will, possibly Guss and Gass were the same family?

Now that Louis may have been found, it’s time to give this up.  :)