Author Topic: Dentistry - professional requirements in 1897  (Read 614 times)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Dentistry - professional requirements in 1897
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 May 24 17:52 BST (UK) »
"Now that Louis may have been found, it’s time to give this up."

Thanks for all that digging, Lisa.  I think I'll have to wait until I get another free pass at Newspapers.com to make any further progress.  For now, though, I'm convinced that dentist Sanford was not a relative.

It's pretty clear now why James skipped town and joined the army under a fake name.  If he blew through $2000, that would be about $75,000 in today's terms.  I'm wondering when his wife, his mother and his brothers figured out where he had gone.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 May 24 19:13 BST (UK) »
You are welcome for the digging.  I wanted to find Louis as his evasion was irritating me.  ;D

According to one website, in 1896, a “trotting facility” in Emeryville (which borders Berkeley) was purchased and “immediately” renovated.  Providing that the new facility was in operation in 1897, perhaps Mr. Logan was caught up in the excitement and just couldn’t help himself.  It’s not an excuse, but just a suggestion. 
Oakland Race Track
https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/articles/2108/looking-back-lost-tracks-san-francisco-bay-area/
[I’ve not used the site before; use at your discretion]

I lived and worked in the San Francisco Bay Area for many years.  Should you have any questions about the area, perhaps I might have answers.

Added: I didn’t think of the money lost in today’s value - wow!
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 16 May 24 23:16 BST (UK) »
I enjoy learning about history and since I worked in Emeryville for a couple of years, I researched the racetracks a bit more.  Imagine my surprise when I discovered the actual location: I worked for a consulting firm located literally just steps away from the site. 

https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=238949
[Again, the above site is new to me, open at your discretion)

The “club” had its grand reopening in October 1896 so Mr. Logan could have indeed visited this racetrack.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 17 May 24 00:27 BST (UK) »
I'm pretty sure that Emeryville came up in some of the Logan newspaper articles I was looking at.  There were a lot of articles that I didn't bother to download.  There were a lot of the "Mr. R. D. Logan and wife were registered at the hotel X" type.   And then there were some concerning bicycle racing (maybe those mentioned Emeryville).  The three oldest Logan brothers - Erwin, James and Robert - really got into bicycles and, in fact, Erwin and Robert started their business careers with bicycles.  Until the automobile was invented, bicycles were hot stuff, and the brothers were into racing and touring on their bikes.  Once cars came on the scene, Erwin got into the auto business with brothers George and Howard; Robert stuck with sporting goods and musical supplies (Victrolas, records, musical instruments, sheet music, etc.).  If James hadn't gotten himself into so much trouble, he probably would have become another cog in the Logan business empire.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis