Author Topic: Trying to find a report in a local paper 1835  (Read 633 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find a report in a local paper 1835
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 May 24 00:27 BST (UK) »
Well done mckha489!  :)

Added - sadly one of those motherless children, his son Francis, died 1 month later (May 1835), aged 12.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline FelicityH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 May 24 03:40 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to everyone for your help with this search. I really appreciate discovering that 'Tarlingstone' was actually Arlestone.  I had tried a couple of other possibilities.  I do wonder what happened to his children:  thanks also for confirming that 12 year old Francis died soon after the trial. It's fascinating to me that despite the surgeon superintendent noting on arrival in Hobart that Wetton was 'not to be trusted in any one way', he was assigned to work as clerk in the Colonial Engineer's office.   Later, after serving his sentence, Wetton was reported as having made 'a lot of money' while working for various attorneys, by the 'discounting of bills'.  One of his children - George - migrated to VDL, arriving in Hobart in January 1855.  Neither he nor any of his English siblings was mentioned in his father's will, but when Francis died in August 1858 George described himself as 'the oldest surviving son' of the deceased.  Again, thank you all very much! 

Offline FelicityH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 May 24 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Neale1961 
I'm wondering where you discovered that Francis Wetton junior had died soon after his father was sentenced to transportation? I haven't discovered any evidence of that event.
 I'm trying to find out what happened to his 'five motherless children'. So far I've discovered that at least 3 reached adulthood:  George migrated to Tasmania in 1854 (as the colonial equivalent of a 'ten pound Pom') where his father was a publican, sister Elizabeth died in 1847 and sister Mary Ann married in 1849.  So far Isabella remains a mystery.  I'm interested that Francis (senior)'s mother  lived until 1844 and am wondering whether she might have taken his children on.  She had been a widow since 1817 and Francis' only sibling, a sister, had married in 1824. But at the age of 63 or so, raising five children - or even 4 children, 10 and under, would be quite a task.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 May 24 11:51 BST (UK) »

Think it’s this one
Burial of Francis 9 May 1835

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JZPP-3MH

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 May 24 12:02 BST (UK) »
Isabella

In 1851 she is lace dresser born Castle Donington (indexed as Welton)
Lodger.
Walker Street, Snenton, Radford, Nottinghamshire
Head of house is a Charlotte Ferguson

17 Jan 1853, Lenton, Notts.    GRO reg is Radford

Isabella Wetten  m James Ward
She says her father is Francis a schoolmaster.
A witness is Eliza Ferguson

Ancestry then giving hints that they too went to Australia

Offline FelicityH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 May 24 12:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much, mckha489 !
 Francis the convict's mother died in 1844 in Tutbury so the fact that young Francis died there so soon after his father's sentencing really supports the possibility that she raised his children.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 May 24 12:08 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann & Isabella are in Shardlow workhouse in 1841

Offline FelicityH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 May 24 12:18 BST (UK) »
Oh really interesting - thank you.   I'm clearly not much chop at Ancestry searches! Is the workhouse info in the card catalogue or just a general search ?   I did discover that when Mary Ann married, she said her father Francis was a lawyer - not too far from the truth as he had worked in various solicitors' offices in Hobart too.
Also interesting that Isabella says her father is a schoolmaster.  When her brother George informed the Hobart authorities of his father's death, his (George's) profession was schoolmaster.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 May 24 12:22 BST (UK) »
Oh really interesting - thank you.   I'm clearly not much chop at Ancestry searches! Is the workhouse info in the card catalogue or just a general search ?   I did discover that when Mary Ann married, she said her father Francis was a lawyer - not too far from the truth as he had worked in various solicitors' offices in Hobart too.
Also interesting that Isabella says her father is a schoolmaster.  When her brother George informed the Hobart authorities of his father's death, his (George's) profession was schoolmaster.

I searched the 1841 census specifically (by getting it out of the card catalogue first) I find it often produces a better result doing that.  They are both spelled WHETTON ages 13 & 10