Author Topic: Need Help Transcribing an Old English Will/Probate  (Read 217 times)

Offline dfischer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need Help Transcribing an Old English Will/Probate
« on: Monday 13 May 24 03:56 BST (UK) »
I am brand-new to this forum so I hope this request is in order and in the proper place. I apologize if I am posting in the wrong forum.

I have a short document that I need to have transcribed.  I have worked and worked, but it is eluding me.  Anybody that can transcribe would be deeply appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Dan

Offline Seelife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Transcribing an Old English Will/Probate
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 May 24 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hi. I am going out on a limb here as while I cannot understand some words, most is clearish. You don't give background or dates. The will is 1529 and he mentions several daughters and a "Captain". I am sure he is bequeathing tobacco to his daughters and others. Now, googling his name a similar will comes up, translated.
I believe he is a ship owner or trader and leaving his worldly goods etc.
Daughters Elizabeth, Dorothy etc.
Good luck, I hope someone has better script skills than me.
Winn, Wynne, Wynd, Wind, Winde

Online Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 May 24 10:41 BST (UK) »
I have modernised the spelling. His daughters are named but not his sons.

In the name of God Amen, I Thomas Palmer, sick and weak of body but thanks be to God of a good and perfect memory, revoking all former will or wills, do make this my last will and testament in manner and form following, that is to say first I bequeath me soul into the hands of Almighty God and my body to Christian burial. Item I bequeath unto my eldest son my god ring and one hundred weight of tobacco. Item I bequeath unto my second son one hundred weight of tobacco. Item I bequeath unto my third son two hundred weight of tobacco. Item I bequeath unto my eldest daughter Gertrude two hundred weight of tobacco. Item I bequeath unto my daughter Joan two hundred weight of tobacco. Item I bequeath unto my daughter Elizabeth two hundred weight of tobacco. Item I bequeath unto my daughter Dorothy two hundred weight of tobacco. Item I bequeath unto my daughter Mary two hundred weight of tobacco. Item I bequeath unto Captain Gardiner my iron spit, a pair of andirons, a goose pan, a pair of tongs and fleshhooks. All the rest of my goods not given nor bequeathed I give and bequeath unto George Jerman whom I make my whole and sole executor of this my last will & testament. In witness whereof I have hereunto put my hand and seal of arms the ninth day of December one thousand six hundred twenty-nine. By me Thomas Palmer. Witnesses Thomas Williams, Thomas Jones.
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 May 24 11:41 BST (UK) »
Translation of probate clause
The above-written will was proved at London before Master Thomas Eden, Doctor of Laws, Surrogate of the Worshipful Sir Henry Marten, knight, also Doctor of Laws, the lawfully appointed Master Keeper or Commissary of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, on the twenty-fourth day of the month of May in the year of the Lord One thousand six hundred and thirty [24 May 1630], by the oath of George Jerman, the executor named in this will, to whom administration was granted of all and singular the goods, rights and credits of the said deceased, to well and faithfully administer the same; sworn on the Holy Gospels of God. Examined.

ADDED
Just to point out that Mary is described as the testator's youngest daughter. (Such details can be useful.)
Also - gold ring, and Captain Gardner.

Offline Seelife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 May 24 12:22 BST (UK) »
Great folks translated for you
I guess you have these records
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Palmer-229

https://www.geni.com/people/Thomas-Palmer-of-Shirley-Hundred-Island/6000000000162822700

Be cautious of trees, but the additional sources may be useful for your research.

Offline dfischer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 May 24 02:11 BST (UK) »
WOW!  You guys are great!  I really appreciate all the help and especially the transcription!  I can usually make my way through some of it, but this time I was getting nowhere.  SO THANK YOU!

Now that I have the transcription, it opens up a whole new set of problems. I am not sure that this Thomas Palmer is the same one who survived Jamestown Virginia and lived later at Jordan's Journey in Virginia.  The will makes no mention of his wife or any land and I think he owned land in Virginia.  So, on to more research!

Again, thank you so much.

Dan Fischer

Offline Seelife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 May 24 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Dan. Great that folk could transcribe the will. The link to WikiTree also has a source using the same will and has more detail of the image.

https://click.linksynergy.com/deeplink?id=Xib7NfnK11s&mid=50138&murl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ancestry.com%2Fsharing%2F24365858%3Fh%3D5718a1

The WikiTree profile does not include the daughters mentioned in the will however.
There is a lot of discussion on WT about the family and background that may be of use. I generally find that WikiTree is slightly more reliable and folk involved with theses type of profiles and projects  get picky about source and correctness.
It does seem to fit with the Virginia story though.
Good luck.