Author Topic: Searching for a secret marriage in France - early 1900s  (Read 1378 times)

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for a secret marriage in France - early 1900s
« Reply #18 on: Monday 13 May 24 23:20 BST (UK) »
Regarding the trees showing wife Lydia and son Francis:

Lydia married a William R Allen, but not William RUSKIN Allen.  Lydia's husband was the son of George and Emma/Emily Allen. George and Emma/Emily raised their grandson Francis after Lydia's death.
William Ruskin Allen's parents were John W and Anna Laura Allen.

In 1911 , George and Emily/Emma's address was 56, Lower Spring Road, Longton, Staffordshire, England.  They can be tracked forward a decade to see them with their grandchild Francis.

Offline ruthruss

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 May 24 02:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much for your input! I really appreciate the time people have taken. Sadly I may have to resign myself to never knowing the truth, as I have no other information that could give any more clues.
Allen Batterby Rimmer Conroy Brigham Pierpoint Butcher Winnard

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 May 24 04:39 BST (UK) »
William lived in France (mostly Paris) between 1912 and 1917

What was his occupation and do you have any addresses for him in Paris or other proof he was there in the mentioned years? Possible he was elsewhere in France or elsewhere in Europe entirely, especially during the war.

It is also possible that transcription of the letter is incorrect and the woman was e.g. fiancee not wife.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ruthruss

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 27 May 24 10:08 BST (UK) »
William lived in France (mostly Paris) between 1912 and 1917

What was his occupation and do you have any addresses for him in Paris or other proof he was there in the mentioned years? Possible he was elsewhere in France or elsewhere in Europe entirely, especially during the war.

It is also possible that transcription of the letter is incorrect and the woman was e.g. fiancee not wife.

Hi there, all these things are definite possibilities. Unfortunately everything I "know" from that time is so vague. He never EVER talked about his childhood, and I wonder if he lied about the year of his birth also, as his daughters are adamant he was born in 1896, but really it was 1895. His "wife" is, I suspect, to remain a mystery.
Allen Batterby Rimmer Conroy Brigham Pierpoint Butcher Winnard