Author Topic: Registry of Deeds: Union Street Research  (Read 645 times)

Offline Martin514

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Registry of Deeds: Union Street Research
« on: Monday 13 May 24 19:03 BST (UK) »
I'm going to Dublin in early June and want to do some research in the Registry of Deeds. Specifically my focus is on Union Street, a place no longer existant. My GGG GF James Nutty lived there with his wife Alice in 1793. Sometime between 1793 and 1807 he moved to Cork.

My working theory is that James and Alice's street was eliminated during the late 1790s or early 1800's by the Wide Streets Commission when Marlborough Street was extended down to the Liffey at what is now Aston Key.

How feasible is it to trace all the purchases made on a tiny Dublin Street from 1793 - 1807? What is the likelihood of finding a tenant listed? I assume James Nutty, who was a weaver, was a tenant rather than an owner

Any advice and suggestions as how to best prepare will be greatly appreciated. I have attached a late 18th century map where you can see Union Street, sometimes called Union Lane highlighted in yellow

Martin Nutty
New York City

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Registry of Deeds: Union Street Research
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 May 24 19:46 BST (UK) »
There's an alley that run between Lower Abbey Street and Eden Quay. You can see it still from both streets but it's clearer on Google Street view from Lower Abbey Street. If you go there and face Wynn's Hotel then the alleyway shows up on right side of the building and you can see if comes out to Eden Quay. Could this be what was Union Street?
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3485383,-6.2589192,3a,75y,170.98h,98.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sELllX-Fs1QbSqzjffaKpIg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?coh=205409&entry=ttu
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 May 24 20:13 BST (UK) »

What is the likelihood of finding a tenant listed? I assume James Nutty, who was a weaver, was a tenant rather than an owner

Slim to none.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 May 24 20:26 BST (UK) »
This view from 2009 shows the other end more clearly:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.347737,-6.2586041,3a,75y,318.83h,102.47t/data= !3m6!1e1!3m4!1syOu7OL4QZhi8lxOOjpmfHg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?coh=205409&entry=ttu

It appears to be a public road with double yellow lines running right through.

If there are "books of reference" for the compulsory purchases they may include names of occupiers as well as owners.  The papers of the Wide Street Commission appear to be held by the city library and archives.  Worth checking the catalogue and making an enquiry whether such information appears.

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 May 24 20:30 BST (UK) »
also worth checking Newspapers, the wide street commission placed advertisements relating to each of their projects with notes regarding valuations etc.

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 May 24 20:31 BST (UK) »
I think that lane beside Wynn's is part of Harbour Court, which is a little to the west of where Union lane/street was

It's shown on the openstreetmap for Dublin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 May 24 20:47 BST (UK) »
I think that lane beside Wynn's is part of Harbour Court, which is a little to the west of where Union lane/street was

It's shown on the openstreetmap for Dublin

You could be right- some maps clearly show Harbour Court running parallel to Lower Abbey Street and Eden Quay and then near Wynne's Hotel running between both streets.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 May 24 20:55 BST (UK) »
The Lane and Street have separate entries in McCready's Dublin Street Names (1892)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 May 24 21:02 BST (UK) »
Lot of changes in the area between the 1817 and 1819 maps
https://www.dublinhistoricmaps.ie/maps/1800-1849/index.html
Is that Union St un-named or is it the lane without the building over it.