Author Topic: Cause of Death Debility of Immaturity  (Read 939 times)

Offline helenmcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ladyshippers
    • View Profile
Cause of Death Debility of Immaturity
« on: Tuesday 14 May 24 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hello

I would welcome the thoughts on the likely meaning of a cause of death for a very young baby please. Mary BRIGDEN died at 3 years of age in 1877 and the Cause of Death is, I think, written as "Debility of immaturity" and "Exhaustion". Copy of Snipped image attached - I hope.

I think it probably means she was born prematurely and I know that being born early could still be insurmountable even if it was only a few weeks, though I'm sure poverty could play a part too and other factors. My paternal grandparents first child death was recorded as due to being born 1 month early in 1907. How accurate that was I'm not sure. I've come across 'Failure to thrive', for babies; 'Debility' for elderly along with 'General debility'. I'm sure it was used when a cause wasn't known or identifiable, at the time.

Any comments will be welcome.

The parents are 2 of my great grandparents and they lost at least 3 of their 5 children, with only 2 reaching adulthood. My grandmother was one of those and she died young after the birth of her 3rd child. Her father died comparatively young, at only 37. I think he may have suffered from ill health for years as the family moved a great deal and though that wasn't unusual, it had a definite downward trajectory regarding the type of accommodation they had, He worked as a Tailor Master on his own account and illness would certainly have had a negative impact on his earning ability. Perhaps there were genetic factors as well as financial.

Thanks for reading, especially if you read all of it.

Helen

Clifford, Brigden, Banks, Woolgar, Comber, Coomber, Ridley, Shipley, McDiarmid, Picknell, Mathias, Evans, Morgan, Cottington, Sturt, Illman, Best etc

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cause of Death Debility of Immaturity
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 May 24 15:45 BST (UK) »
"Debility pointed to a birth before its natural moment or to the lack of 'vitality' in a new-born.
Prematurity represented a failure of natural timing when birth took place before its proper moment, and debility was a lack of that life force which made existence possible".

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 May 24 15:51 BST (UK) »
"lack of 'vitality' in a new-born"

But this child died at three years of age.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 May 24 15:55 BST (UK) »
Oops! Sorry, I didn't see the 3 years old. Just saw "very young baby" in the first sentence.  ???
So, actually I'm kinda confused now. Normally I wouldn't associate a 3 year old as being a baby.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 May 24 16:01 BST (UK) »
The GRO index shows the child’s age as ‘0’ years, so I think she must have been 3 weeks old?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 May 24 16:04 BST (UK) »
Phew!  ;)

Offline helenmcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ladyshippers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 May 24 20:00 BST (UK) »
Huge apologies. My post should read "....died at 3 days old in 1877...."  which makes all the difference. So sorry for noticing my mistake sooner.

Thanks for all your comments and apologies again for causing so much confusion. :(

Hello

I would welcome the thoughts on the likely meaning of a cause of death for a very young baby please. Mary BRIGDEN died at 3 years of age in 1877 and the Cause of Death is, I think, written as "Debility of immaturity" and "Exhaustion". Copy of Snipped image attached - I hope.

I think it probably means she was born prematurely and I know that being born early could still be insurmountable even if it was only a few weeks, though I'm sure poverty could play a part too and other factors. My paternal grandparents first child death was recorded as due to being born 1 month early in 1907. How accurate that was I'm not sure. I've come across 'Failure to thrive', for babies; 'Debility' for elderly along with 'General debility'. I'm sure it was used when a cause wasn't known or identifiable, at the time.

Any comments will be welcome.

The parents are 2 of my great grandparents and they lost at least 3 of their 5 children, with only 2 reaching adulthood. My grandmother was one of those and she died young after the birth of her 3rd child. Her father died comparatively young, at only 37. I think he may have suffered from ill health for years as the family moved a great deal and though that wasn't unusual, it had a definite downward trajectory regarding the type of accommodation they had, He worked as a Tailor Master on his own account and illness would certainly have had a negative impact on his earning ability. Perhaps there were genetic factors as well as financial.

Thanks for reading, especially if you read all of it.

Helen
Clifford, Brigden, Banks, Woolgar, Comber, Coomber, Ridley, Shipley, McDiarmid, Picknell, Mathias, Evans, Morgan, Cottington, Sturt, Illman, Best etc