Author Topic: Denmark in dna test  (Read 241 times)

Offline Emzunicorn01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Denmark in dna test
« on: Thursday 16 May 24 13:41 BST (UK) »
So me and my aunt both took ancestry test.  It came back that my aunt is 43% Denmark and myself at 33%… ancestry has shown us where our communities are based .

I would like to find out who my great grandad is . I had success in finding out who my great Nan was as ,  my Nan was adopted.

However, it is difficult to find out who my great grandad is. I have colour dotted all my matches. And have identified a cluster on my aunts maternal side however this cluster is 43 cm and below.. and 3 people big

I have uploaded my Auntie DNA test onto my heritage and had some closer results. I have three 3rd cousin.. they are all in one cluster. However, they are all from Denmark and have wonderful family trees that I could potentially trace from but I have no idea where to start.

Could this be  that my great grandfather is actually from Denmark?
Could this explain the lack of ancestry DNA matches?

Any advice please ? Thanks all
Dredger/Dreger, Miller, Oliver, Hinson, Müller, Binns, Wadey , King , Stephenson , Thrussel , Chapman , ireland , Reade,  Bunce,
 Bunce-Wiblin, Tugwell, Mackenzie, Fraizer

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Denmark in dna test
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 May 24 17:16 BST (UK) »
That seems a strong likelihood
Can you identify the common ancestors of your 3 . 3rd cousins .

I would add " man from Denmark " to your tree as birth father of your grandmother ....you could add his parents  as "  maybe A " maybe B
With A & B Being surnames which frequently occur .
Have you added an " adopted " tag to your grandmother so people can see where your surname line breaks ?

Can you contact any of the matches to see if they have other shared matches and know of a likely connection..ie a sailor or tradesman
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 May 24 17:27 BST (UK) »
It is certainly possible.

I would upload your DNA to My Heritage as well

More information would help, in that how much cM does your higher matches share with your Aunt?

If say as Brigidmac sort of suggests he could have been a Sailor then if he Fathered others and his Great Grandchild took a DNA test they would share about 120cM with you and be a 1/2 Second Cousin.

Certainly “borrow” the other trees and build a stand alone one and see how it works.

Once you have a tree and a few DNA matches linked in it then export the tree as a GEDCOM and upload to DNA Painter’s WATO tool

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 May 24 11:50 BST (UK) »
Where was your G Gmam when she got pregnant? If it was in some port on the east coast it lends support to the idea that her “lover” was a sailer.
Also when was it? Second World War there was lots of movement around Europe. I don’t know about the First.

Offline Emzunicorn01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 May 24 14:31 BST (UK) »
Where was your G Gmam when she got pregnant? If it was in some port on the east coast it lends support to the idea that her “lover” was a sailer.
Also when was it? Second World War there was lots of movement around Europe. I don’t know about the First.

She was living in West Ham London . My Nan was born 1928.
Dredger/Dreger, Miller, Oliver, Hinson, Müller, Binns, Wadey , King , Stephenson , Thrussel , Chapman , ireland , Reade,  Bunce,

Offline Emzunicorn01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 May 24 14:33 BST (UK) »
That seems a strong likelihood
Can you identify the common ancestors of your 3 . 3rd cousins .

I would add " man from Denmark " to your tree as birth father of your grandmother ....you could add his parents  as "  maybe A " maybe B
With A & B Being surnames which frequently occur .
Have you added an " adopted " tag to your grandmother so people can see where your surname line breaks ?
Can you contact any of the matches to see if they have other shared matches and know of a likely connection..ie a sailor or tradesman

I have spoken to the dna match who has suggested one common ancestor, as they came to England ( Northumberland ) but the family moved on to America. There are two people I cannot trace on that family line ..