Author Topic: Tracing a Royal Marine in the 1861 census  (Read 211 times)

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing a Royal Marine in the 1861 census
« on: Wednesday 22 May 24 06:24 BST (UK) »
I recently posted about a marine William White on Vancouver Island in the 1861 census which led me to conclude I had the wrong service records for my GG grandfather.

I am now in possession of the correct records from TNA which turn out to be far more interesting...

Between 1857 and 1861 (April 18) he was with the 'China Batt' and there is mention in his records about the seizing of Canton and the action on White Cloud Mountain.

I have so far been unable to locate him in the 1861 census taken just a few days before his disembarkation date. I wondered how one searched for someone on military service in the census. He was William White b 1835 in Wiveliscombe, Somerset. I don't have names for the ship he would have been on.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing a Royal Marine in the 1861 census
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 May 24 09:51 BST (UK) »
If he hadn't disembarked at the time of the census, he wouldn't have been included in any household schedule. He would have been counted, based on figures supplied by the Admiralty, but none of his details would have been recorded, beyond his rank and age.

This is a quote from the Official Report on the census given to Parliament:
Royal Navy

The information about seamen and others on board vessels of the Royal Navy, at home and abroad, was supplied to us pursuant to instructions addressed by the Lords of the Admiralty to the officers in command of Her Majesty's ships and vessels.

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 May 24 10:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andy.

I'm not entirely certain what that means. Is there an entry for a vessel that would have his name and rank listed for the 1861 (and other) census returns.

I have come across other such records looking for this man previously which helped me check I had the right William White. It's maybe knowing how to search for it.

He was in 31 Company at Plymouth Division if that helps.

Thanks again.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 May 24 11:30 BST (UK) »
On FindMyPast's version of the 1861 census, the relevant 'Country' for ships at sea is 'Ships and Overseas Establishments'. Using this and searching on William White brings up 5 people of that name born in 1835 +/- 1 year and serving in the Royal Marines. None have the birth place Somerset.

1. William White 26 b. Wimpstone Warwickshire HMS Ganges Pte RMLI
2. William White 26 b. Hastings Sussex HMS Stannibal Pte RM
3. William White 26 b. Londonderry HMS James Watt Pte RM
4. William White 26 b.Plymouth HMS Jasper Pte Ship's position Lat 37o 41' N Long 44o 39' West
5. William White 25 b. Norwich HMS Princess Royal Pte RM

There is a sixth man who is probably Royal Navy: William White 25 b. Portsmouth  HMS Simoom. Gun Room Steward. He also appears in the 1871 census at sea and is a gun room cook.

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 May 24 14:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for investigating this one, Andy. It's helpful to know how to search for men who were aboard ships as I have some other gaps to fill elsewhere.

At first glance, none looks like the William White I am looking for. I shall have to investigate which shops might have been involved in transporting the marines back to Plymouth.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 May 24 16:41 BST (UK) »
Although I copied the FindMyPast transcription correctly, HMS Stannibal should read HMS Hannibal