Author Topic: 1710 Will of Richard Puddick - Transcription Help  (Read 214 times)

Offline rkraeuatzd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1710 Will of Richard Puddick - Transcription Help
« on: Wednesday 22 May 24 08:27 BST (UK) »
Dear All,

I was hoping for some help with filling in the gaps in a transcript I made from the 1710 will of Richard Puttick (otherwise Puttock or Puddock).

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post an image of the original will but it can be found on Ancestry here:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/437444:1704?tid=&pid=&queryId=124f5db7-0578-4225-b75b-2ef6fcd321a2&_phsrc=TKa4353&_phstart=successSource

I'd be particularly interested in: (i) ascertaining the word at the end of the fifth line down from the top ("churchyard of [...]"), (ii) filling in the significant gaps towards the end, and (iii) confirming the married name of his daughter.

Anyway, here is what I've got (be it right or wrong).

[torn off]  the twenty-fifth day of October in the year of our Lord [illegible] 1710 I Richard Puttick of
[torn off]  yeoman being [illegible] in body and well in mind [illegible]
[torn off]  of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die do [illegible] make and
[torn off]  last will and testament in manner and form following  First of all I give and [?recommend]
[torn off]  hands of God that gave it and my body to be buried in Christian burial in the parish churchyard of [illegible]
[torn off]  like manner at the discretion of my executor nothing doubting but at the general resurrection
[torn off]  the same again by the mighty power of God, and as touching my [?worldly] estate wherewith it hath
pleased God to bless me in this life I give and [?dispose] of the same in following manner and form  Imprimis I
[?give] & bequeath John Puttick my son the sum of fifty pounds in one year after my decease to be paid him by Jane
my wife or her assigns   Item I give unto Joane my wife whom I make and ordain my [illegible] and sole
executor of this my last will and testament all and singular my lands messuages and tenements [illegible]
Item I give unto Jane Bucker my daughter the sum of fifty pounds [illegible] and ten pounds after my
decease  And all the rest of my lands and goods and chattels [illegible] I give and [?bequeath] [illegible] my wife
whom I make my sole executor [?till] my son John Puttick [illegible] to the age of one and twenty
years  And then all my land ground and barns stables and stalls [illegible] shall be [illegible]
to John Puttick my son by Joane Puttick my executor paying her ten pounds [illegible]
[illegible] [?revoking] [illegible] all and every other
[illegible] former wills and legacies and executors by me in [?any way before] [illegible]
named [illegible] and bequeathed ratifying and confirming this and no other to be my
last will and testament  In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and
seal the day and year above written.
[illegible]
in the presence of
Ann [?Bolding]
her  A  mark                               Richard Puttick
                                                    his mark
Mary [illegible]
her mark

Walter Knight

Thanks!

Richard

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1710 Will of Richard Puddick - Transcription Help
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 May 24 09:53 BST (UK) »
I am not a subscriber to Ancestry and all your link does is take me to a page which asks me to subscribe.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 May 24 14:37 BST (UK) »
I've started from line 12 so as to catch the more important issues first.  Here's the first instalment.

...Jane Bucker my daster The sume of ffifty pound To hur marige and Ten...

...and All The Rest of my landes and goodes and Chatelles don
[= done] I Give and be Quefe Joane my wife

whome I Make my houll Executer Tell my sune John Putticke Cumeth To The Ayge of One...

...Stalles Out housing shall bee dellivered...

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 May 24 15:03 BST (UK) »
Second instalment:

...paying hur Ten pound a yeare Dewering

hur Tarme a Life
[may be struck out?] I dow heare by uterly Disalowe Revoke and Disane [= disown?] All and Every Other

Olier [= earlier] fformor willis and Lagacies and Executors by mee in [Aney?] wayes bee ffore This Time

Named willed willied and bequeathed Ratifiing and...

Sealled and Delivered...

Ann Bollding

Mary Ansell

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 May 24 15:28 BST (UK) »
Sundry other suggestions:

The name of the churchyard may begin budg___

In line 2:  ...mind Thinkes be [illegible] ffor it god  [Calling?]...

In line 11 it is:  ...ordaine my Oly and soull...        Presumably Only is meant.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 May 24 16:06 BST (UK) »
The name of the churchyard may begin budg___

Or is it Rudg...? The first letter is very similar to that of the word almost immediately below, which has been transcribed Resurrection.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 May 24 16:10 BST (UK) »
Looking again, I agree with Arthur.

Offline rkraeuatzd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 May 24 20:22 BST (UK) »
Dear All,

Firstly, thanks to all for replying!

Despite the bluriness of the image and the spidery orthographically challenging handwriting, with your kind help and sharp eyes and a little further input at my end, I reckon I now have a pretty much solid transcript (see below), even if I would have liked the parish to be clearer.

For some additional background, I believe Richard's wife Joanne produced a will in 1728 (at which time she was living in Cranleigh, Surrey). She died c. Dec 1729 and was buried at nearby Hascombe. She also left legacies to daughter Jane and son John (again no other children are mentioned).

I'm glad to have the daughter Jane's married name confirmed. In Joanne's will, she is named as Jane Cackutt but with children by the name of Booker (m. John Booker in 1707 in nearby Dunsfold).

Before stumbling across this will, I previously didn't know the name of Joanne's husband, but the family relationships in both wills are too close I suggest to be a coincidence.

The only 'fly in the ointment' if you will is the parish, which I suspect reads Rudgwick (in Sussex but again nearby Cranley and Hascombe). There is no burial for a Richard Puttock in Rudgwick between the will date and the probate date. There is though a burial at Hascombe. So I suppose that, for some reason, Joanne must have decided to bury him there, and that she joined him there after her death.

Anyway, as mentioned, I include below an updated version of the transcript.

Thanks again,

Richard

[torn off]  the twenty-fifth day of October in the year of our Lord [illegible] 1710 I Richard Puttick of
[torn off]  yeoman being [illegible] in body and well in mind thanks [?be given] for it God calling
[torn off]  of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die do make and
[torn off]  last will and testament in manner and form following  First of all I give and recommend
[torn off]  hands of God that gave it and my body to be buried in Christian burial in the parish churchyard of [?Rudgwick]
[torn off]  like manner at the discretion of my executor nothing doubting but at the general resurrection
[torn off]  the same again by the mighty power of God, and as touching my worldly estate wherewith it hath
pleased God to bless me in this life I give and dispose of the same in following manner and form  Imprimis I
give & bequeath John Puttick my son the sum of fifty pounds in one year after my decease to be paid him by Jane
my wife or her assigns   Item I give unto Joane my wife whom I make and ordain my only and sole
executor of this my last will and testament all and singular my lands messuages and tenements [illegible]
Item I give unto Jane Bucker my daughter the sum of fifty pounds to the marriage and ten pounds after my
decease  And all the rest of my lands and goods and chattels [illegible] I give and bequeath Joanne my wife
whom I make my sole executor till my son John Puttick cometh to the age of one and twenty
years  And then all my land ground and barns stables and stalls out-housing shall be delivered
to John Puttick my son by Joane Puttick my executor paying her ten pounds a year during
her term of life [illegible] I do hereby utterly disallow revoke and disown all and every other
earlier former wills and legacies and executors by me in any way before this time
named willed willed [sic] and bequeathed ratifying and confirming this and no other to be my
last will and testament  In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and
seal the day and year above written.
Sealed and delivered
in the presence of
Ann Bollding
her  A  mark                    Richard Puttick
                                         his mark
Mary Ansell
her mark

Walter Knight

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 May 24 03:12 BST (UK) »
There is no burial for a Richard Puttock in Rudgwick between the will date and the probate date. There is though a burial at Hascombe. So I suppose that, for some reason, Joanne must have decided to bury him there, and that she joined him there after her death.

Richard is said to be late of Hascombe [nup(er) de Hascombe in Com' Surr'] in the supporting note dated 6 December 1710.

If you haven't already, the supporting notes appear to deserve close attention (in my opinion & based on only a superficial glance).